A Too-Soon Revival of the Nineties?
We’ve all had the experience of sitting down with our parents as they told us stories beginning with, “When I was your age,” while they flipped through photo albums from “the good old days” and showed us several mildly disturbing photos of them in neon stirrups and Jelly shoes. Fortunately – at least, hopefully – they said things like, “What was I thinking?” or “I can’t believe I wore that” as they shook their heads in disgust at the trends they once thought looked good. There will always be fashion staples that stand the test of time, like good ol’ blue jeans and the LBD (little black dress), but some trends just shouldn’t leave the photo albums.
Over the past couple years, there has been a large influx of 90s culture making a reappearance; I don’t mean just fashion trends, but music and movies and television shows as well. This has largely been the result of 90s-born young adults pushing for the resurgence of their childhood, mostly via social media. On July 25, 2011, a programming block premiered on TeenNick called The 90s Are All That, running from 12 AM to 4 AM every night, showing reruns of cartoons from the 1990s, like Rugrats, Hey Arnold!, Rocko’s Modern Life, The Ren & Stimpy Show, and The Angry Beavers.
As far as fashion, this past December, Urban Outfitters – a store that sells a lot of 90s fashion pieces like Doc Marten combat boots and plaid button-up shirts – gave away holiday-themed Lisa Frank stickers with every purchase. I, much like most of my peers, have no problem with 90s culture’s recent resurrection. I can now watch the TV shows I used to when I was a kid, I’ve covered my laptop with the familiar characters on Lisa Frank stickers, and velvet has made a comeback into my wardrobe.
I don’t mean to question this blessing, but I can’t help but wonder – why have the 90s made such a recent return? Older adults usually reminisce about 1980s and 1970s and maybe even 1960s culture to make them feel young again, right? But here we are, the oldest of us “90s kids” not a year over 23, so why have we dug up the 90s from the dead so soon after its passing? We still have our youth, so what’s the deal? I could think of only one reason: it’s to feel connected to our peers. We do so much interacting through a laptop or a smartphone, and though we have several social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, we’re not doing as much real interaction as teenagers in the 90s did. We grew up watching DJ Tanner and Clarissa Darling as teenagers on television, but did they have Tumblr or Reddit or StumbleUpon? No, all they had was a corded telephone to twist around their fingers.
I’m glad that so many aspects of 90s culture are coming back, but I’m not too ecstatic about a certain denim trend. One word: overalls. Like I said, every decade has and will have its own trends, but that doesn’t mean that all of them should last. Maybe we’d all be better off if the denim straps stayed in the world of Cory Matthews and Topanga Lawrence. And on that note, I will leave you with a photo of Justin Bieber dressed as a farmer. I’m sorry, but you 90s-worshipers made me.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Fashion Articles
Recent News Articles
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
- "A Really Sluggish Journey" Treasure Hunter Kumiko (2015) Review
- The Return of Game of Thrones Season
- HOPEchella raises over five hundred dollars for Semillas
- Cracking the Code of College: 9 Tips for Academic Success at a...
- Spotlight on Laci Green: Breaking Silence Around Sexuality
- Keeping Your Tenants Safe:The Student Perspective
- Why You Need to Watch “The Voice” 2015
MOST POPULAR NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeUC Santa BarbaraCal PolyUC DavisUC IrvineUC San DiegoUC Santa CruzStanford UniversityUCLACal Poly PomonaCSU ChicoCSU FullertonCSU Long BeachCSU NorthridgeCSU SacramentoUC BerkeleyPepperdine UniversitySan Diego StateSan Francisco State UniversitySan Jose State UniversityUSCCalifornia State University-San BernardinoCalifornia State University-FresnoCalifornia State University-Los AngelesUC RiversideCalifornia Institute of TechnologyCalifornia State University-Dominguez HillsCalifornia State University-East BayOccidental CollegeLoyola Marymount UniversityCabrillo CollegeAlliant International UniversityAzusa Pacific UniversityAntelope Valley CollegeBakersfield CollegeBiola UniversityBrooks Institute of PhotographyCalifornia Baptist UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeCalifornia Pacific UniversityCalifornia State University Monterey BayCuesta CollegeConcordia University IrvineCalifornia State University Channel IslandsDiablo Valley CollegeBethany UniversitySanta Barbara City CollegeFive Branches UniversityWest Valley CollegeWestmont CollegeUC MercedUC Hastings College of the LawPalomar CollegeSaint Mary's CollegeSonoma State UniversitySierra CollegeChapman UniversitySaddleback CollegePacific Union CollegePierce CollegePasadena City CollegeFeather River CollegeCalifornia Culinary AcademyMira Costa CollegeLos Rios Community College DistrictLas Positas CollegeGrossmont CollegeIrvine Valley CollegeMenlo CollegeAllan Hancock CollegeHumboldt State UniversityUniversity of San DiegoUniversity of San FranciscoLoma Linda UniversityFullerton CollegeSanta Clara UniversityChabot CollegeFoothill CollegeNational UniversityButte CollegeAcademy of Art UniversityWhittier CollegeLincoln UniversityMerced CollegeCalifornia State University-BakersfieldSanta Monica CollegeMt. San Jacinto CollegeCoast Community College DistrictRiverside Community CollegeUniversity of the PacificPomona CollegeLa Sierra UniversityScripps Research InstituteDe Anza CollegeGrossmount-Cuyamaca Community CollegeAmerican Intercontinental UniversityArt Center College of DesignCalifornia College of the ArtsCalifornia Institute of Integral StudiesCalifornia Institute of the ArtsCalifornia Lutheran UniversityCSU San MarcosCalifornia State University-StanislausClaremont Graduate UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeDominican University of CaliforniaEx-Pression College for Digital ArtsFielding Graduate UniversityFresno Pacific UniversityFuller Theological SeminaryGolden Gate UniversityHoly Names UniversityJohn F Kennedy UniversityMills CollegeMount St Mary's CollegeMusicians InstituteNaval Postgraduate SchoolNotre Dame de Namur UniversityOtis College of Art and DesignPacific Oaks CollegePoint Loma Nazarene UniversitySamuel Merritt CollegeSimpson UniversityThe Art Institute of California-Los AngelesThe Art Institute of California-Orange CountyThe Art Institute of California-San DiegoThe Art Institute of California-San FranciscoThe Fashion Institute of Design & MerchandisingThe Master's College and SeminaryUC San FranciscoUniversity of La VerneUniversity of RedlandsVanguard University of Southern CaliforniaPeralta CollegeWestern University of Health SciencesWoodbury UniversityCity College of San FranciscoCalifornia Institute of the Healing Arts and SciencesCypress CollegeEast Los Angeles CollegeLos Angeles City CollegeCollege of MarinOhlone CollegePitzer CollegeSouthern California Institute of ArchitectureScripps CollegeSan Diego Christian CollegeWorld Mission UniversityThe Wright InstituteCerro Coso Community CollegeCollege of the DesertSan Diego City CollegeArgosy UniversityImperial Valley CollegeModesto Junior CollegeShasta CollegeCollege of San MateoCollege of SiskiyousLassen Community CollegeVentura CollegeNewSchool of Architecture + Design
- By State
- By City