On The Social Construction of Gender
In its advent, feminism was a momentous social movement embodying the ideals of liberty and equality consistent with those articulated by the Founders. Pioneers such as Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton laid the foundation for what would eventually become the 19th Amendment, which was ratified in 1920, granting women in the U.S. the right to vote.  The feminist movement has since lost its way.
Since gender inequities in civic participation are rapidly fading, contemporary feminists have had to refashion their agenda to remain relevant. Instead of embracing the social progress America experienced throughout the 20th century, they’ve attempted to perpetuate the gender wars by taking up the gauntlet against human nature. Feminists have proposed that gender, the distinction between masculinity and femininity, is constructed by social norms.  This theory stems from their antipathy for the female caricature of high-heels, lipstick, cleavage, pink blouses, and accessorizing with three pound Chihuahuas.  The “social construction of gender” has become a pervasive doctrine preached by radicals in women’s studies courses across the country. 
Judith Lorber, a feminist and professor emerita of sociology and women’s studies at Brooklyn College, has been credited with developing the social construction of gender theory. She defines gender as, “a process of creating distinguishable social statuses for the assignment of rights and responsibilities.”  Lorber continues, “As part of a stratification system that ranks these statuses unequally, gender is a major building block in the social structures built on these unequal statuses.” 
Lorber’s assertion coincides with “Marxist feminism,” which submits that capitalism propagates gender inequality, thus, social and gender norms are dictated by a despotic patriarchy.  The social construction of gender, however, has been contested by neuroscientists who cite empirical data demonstrating that male and female brains are innately different, each having their own unique characteristics and strengths.
For instance, in an interview with The Wall Street Journal, neuroscientist Dr. Sandra Witelson, known for her extensive research on Albert Einstein’s brain, observed that seldom are there complaints about differences among individuals’ athletic abilities or motor skills, but when it comes to the brain, “people do not like to think that there is something innate, immutable. But the brain is an organ of the body like any other organ. So to think that there are no innate differences is an incorrect assumption.” 
Dr. Witelson went on to reference a study conducted by psychologists which examined thousands of elementary school students who scored in the top one percentile on a mathematics aptitude test. The psychologists found that there were significantly more boys who tested in the top one percentile than girls. An assessment of the same children 20-30 years later showed that there were more men who became physicists and mathematicians than women, whereas, there were more women who became administrators. 
What Dr. Witelson found most revealing about the study were the stark differences between the priorities of the men and women and what they felt was important in life. While women, “are statistically more interested in having close relationships with parents, having a part-time career, living close to parents and relatives…Men, on the other hand, more frequently said they want to have a full-time career, and they wanted to invent and create something.” 
Dr. Witelson concluded that “the kind of aspirations that men and women have may be very related to some of the biological drives and needs that we have inherited as Homo sapiens over the development of our species.” 
What’s unfortunate about contemporary feminism is that an ignorant minority of radicals exploit their power as academics by inculcating their students with doctrines contrary to empirical evidence. Preaching the social construction of gender is a perverse attempt to suppress natural female tendencies. In the long run, however, reversing biology is an uphill battle.
1. “Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony,” Library of Congress.
2. “The Three Waves of Feminism,” Martha Rampton, 2008.
4. “What Is Women’s Studies?” National Women’s Studies Association.
5. “The Social Construction of Gender,” Judith Lorber.
7. “An Introduction to Marxist Feminism,” Helen Gilbert.
8. “It’s Partly in Your Head,” Sandra Witelson on how male female brains differ, 2011.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Politics Articles
Recent News Articles
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
- Get Students To Stop By Your Booth
- Best Ways To Pack Up Your Kitchen For Moving
- Get The Most Out Of Your Next Study Session: 5 Study Tips
- Cheetos Chicken Fries: An Extra Crunchy Surprise
- On Identity Spectrums
- The National Museum of African American History: A People's Journey
- Is a Pixie Cut Right for You?
MOST POPULAR NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeAcademy for Jewish Religion-CaliforniaAcademy for Salon ProfessionalsAcademy of Art UniversityAcademy of Esthetics and CosmetologyAdvance Beauty CollegeAdvance Beauty Techs AcademyAdvanced Career InstituteAdvanced CollegeAdvanced Computing InstituteAlhambra Beauty CollegeAllan Hancock CollegeAlliant International UniversityAlliant International University-FresnoAlliant International University-IrvineAlliant International University-Los AngelesAlliant International University-SacramentoAlliant International University-San DiegoAlliant International University-San FranciscoAllied American UniversityAmerican Baptist Seminary of the WestAmerican Beauty CollegeAmerican Career College at St FrancisAmerican Career College-AnaheimAmerican Career College-Long BeachAmerican Career College-Los AngelesAmerican Career College-OntarioAmerican College of HealthcareAmerican College of Traditional Chinese MedicineAmerican Conservatory TheaterAmerican Institute of Massage TherapyAmerican Intercontinental UniversityAmerican Jewish UniversityAmerican Medical Sciences CenterAmerican River College Angeles InstituteAnnenberg School of NursingAntelope Valley CollegeAntioch University-Los AngelesArgosy UniversityArgosy University-San DiegoArt Center College of DesignAshdown College of Health SciencesAsher CollegeAsian American International Beauty CollegeAssociated Technical College-Los AngelesATEP at IVCATI College-NorwalkAvance Beauty CollegeAveda Institute-Los AngelesAzusa Pacific UniversityBakersfield CollegeBaldwin Park Adult & Community EducationBarstow Community College DistrictBay Area Medical AcademyBay Area Medical Academy - San Jose Satellite LocationBeaumont Adult SchoolBellus Academy-El CajonBellus Academy-National CityBellus Academy-PowayBerkeley City College Bethany UniversityBethel Seminary-San DiegoBethesda UniversityBeyond 21st Century Beauty AcademyBiola UniversityBlake Austin CollegeBlake Austin College Beauty AcademyBrand CollegeBrooks Institute of PhotographyButte CollegeCabrillo CollegeCal PolyCal Poly PomonaCalifornia Baptist UniversityCalifornia Beauty SchoolCalifornia Career CollegeCalifornia Career InstituteCalifornia Christian CollegeCalifornia College of the ArtsCalifornia College San DiegoCalifornia Culinary AcademyCalifornia Hair Design AcademyCalifornia Healing Arts CollegeCalifornia Institute of Integral StudiesCalifornia Institute of TechnologyCalifornia Institute of the ArtsCalifornia Institute of the Healing Arts and SciencesCalifornia Lutheran UniversityCalifornia Miramar UniversityCalifornia Nurses Educational InstituteCalifornia Pacific UniversityCalifornia State University Channel IslandsCalifornia State University Monterey BayCalifornia State University-BakersfieldCalifornia State University-Dominguez HillsCalifornia State University-East BayCalifornia State University-FresnoCalifornia State University-Los AngelesCalifornia State University-San BernardinoCalifornia State University-StanislausCalifornia Western School of LawCambridge Junior College-WoodlandCambridge Junior College-Yuba CityCanada CollegeCareer Academy of BeautyCareer Care InstituteCareer College of CaliforniaCareer Development Institute IncCareer Networks InstituteCarrington College-Citrus HeightsCarrington College-PomonaCarrington College-SacramentoCarrington College-San JoseCarrington College-San LeandroCasa Loma College-Anaheim CampusCasa Loma College-Van NuysCentral California SchoolCentral Coast CollegeCerritos CollegeCerro Coso Community CollegeCES CollegeCET-CoachellaCET-El CentroCET-OxnardCET-SacramentoCET-San BernardinoCET-San DiegoCET-Santa MariaCET-SobratoCET-SoledadCET-WatsonvilleChabot CollegeChapman UniversityCharles A Jones Career and Education CenterCharles R Drew University of Medicine and ScienceCharter College-Canyon CountryChurch Divinity School of the PacificCinta Aveda InstituteCitrus CollegeCity College of San FranciscoClaremont Graduate UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeClaremont McKenna CollegeClaremont School of TheologyClovis Adult EducationCoachella Valley Beauty CollegeCoachella Valley Beauty College-BeaumontCoast Career InstituteCoast Community College DistrictCoastline Beauty CollegeCoastline Community College Cogswell CollegeColeman UniversityCollege of Alameda College of MarinCollege of San MateoCollege of SiskiyousCollege of the CanyonsCollege of the DesertCollege of the RedwoodsCollege of the SequoiasCollege of the Siskiyous Colton-Redlands-Yucaipa Regional Occupational ProgramColumbia College-HollywoodComputer Training AcademyComputer Tutor Business and Technical InstituteConcorde Career College-Garden GroveConcorde Career College-North HollywoodConcorde Career College-San BernardinoConcorde Career College-San DiegoConcordia University IrvineContra Costa College Contra Costa Community College DistrictCopper Mountain Community CollegeCosmo Beauty AcademyCosmo Factory Cosmetology AcademyCosumnes River College Crafton Hills CollegeCRU InstituteCSU ChicoCSU FullertonCSU Long BeachCSU NorthridgeCSU SacramentoCSU San MarcosCuesta CollegeCuyamaca College Cypress CollegeDe Anza CollegeDesign Institute of San DiegoDiablo Valley CollegeDiamond Beauty CollegeDominican School of Philosophy & TheologyDominican University of CaliforniaDongguk University-Los AngelesDowney Adult SchoolEast Los Angeles CollegeEl Camino College-Compton Community Ed CenterElite Cosmetology SchoolEverest College-AlhambraEverest College-AnaheimEverest College-City of IndustryEverest College-GardenaEverest College-ResedaEverest College-West Los AngelesEvergreen Valley College Ex-Pression College for Digital ArtsFashion Institute of Design & Merchandising-Orange CountyFashion Institute of Design & Merchandising-San DiegoFashion Institute of Design & Merchandising-San FranciscoFeather River CollegeFederico Beauty InstituteFielding Graduate UniversityFive Branches UniversityFlair Beauty CollegeFolsom Lake CollegeFoothill CollegeFour-D CollegeFranciscan School of TheologyFredrick and Charles Beauty CollegeFremont CollegeFresno City College Fresno Pacific UniversityFuller Theological SeminaryFullerton CollegeGalaxy Medical CollegeGavilan CollegeGemological Institute of America-CarlsbadGlendale Community College (CA)Golden Gate UniversityGolden Gate University-Los AngelesGolden Gate University-Silicon ValleyGolden State College of Court ReportingGrace Mission UniversityGraduate Theological UnionGrossmont CollegeGrossmount-Cuyamaca Community CollegeGurnick Academy of Medical ArtsHacienda La Puente Adult EducationHair California Beauty AcademyHeald College-ConcordHeald College-ModestoHeald College-RosevilleHeald College-SalinasHeald College-San JoseHeald College-StocktonHigh Desert Medical CollegeHilltop Beauty SchoolHinton Barber CollegeHoly Names UniversityHomestead SchoolsHorizon UniversityHumboldt State UniversityHumphreys College-ModestoHumphreys College-Stockton and Modesto CampusesHypnosis Motivation InstituteImperial Valley CollegeInfoTech Career CollegeInstitute for Business and TechnologyInstitute of Technology IncIntegrity College of HealthInterCoast Colleges-BurbankInterCoast Colleges-CarsonInterCoast Colleges-Elk GroveInterCoast Colleges-FairfieldInterCoast Colleges-OrangeInterCoast Colleges-RosevilleInterior Designers InstituteInternational College of CosmetologyInternational Culinary Center-CaliforniaInternational Polytechnic InstituteInternational School of Beauty IncInternational Technological UniversityIrvine Valley CollegeITT Technical Institute-ConcordITT Technical Institute-CoronaITT Technical Institute-Culver CityITT Technical Institute-LathropITT Technical Institute-OaklandITT Technical Institute-OxnardITT Technical Institute-Rancho CordovaITT Technical Institute-San DimasITT Technical Institute-SylmarITT Technical Institute-TorranceJohn F Kennedy UniversityJohn Wesley International Barber and Beauty CollegeKaplan College-BakersfieldKaplan College-ModestoKaplan College-North HollywoodKaplan College-Palm SpringsKaplan College-RiversideKaplan College-SacramentoKaplan College-VistaLa Sierra UniversityLaguna College of Art and DesignLaney College Las Positas CollegeLassen Community CollegeLawrence & Company College of CosmetologyLe Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts-PasadenaLeMelange Academy of HairLife Chiropractic College WestLife Pacific CollegeLincoln UniversityLoma Linda UniversityLong Beach City College Los Angeles CenterLos Angeles City CollegeLos Angeles College of MusicLos Angeles County College of Nursing and Allied HealthLos Angeles Harbor College Los Angeles Mission College Los Angeles ORT College-Los Angeles CampusLos Angeles ORT College-Van Nuys CampusLos Angeles Southwest College Los Angeles Trade-Technical CollegeLos Rios Community College DistrictLoyola Marymount UniversityLu Ross AcademyLyles Bakersfield College of BeautyLyles Fresno College of BeautyMadera Beauty CollegeMake-up DesignoryManchester Beauty CollegeMarinello School of Beauty-BakersfieldMarinello School of Beauty-Castro ValleyMarinello School of Beauty-ChicoMarinello School of Beauty-FresnoMarinello School of Beauty-HaywardMarinello School of Beauty-MurrietaMarinello School of Beauty-NapaMarinello School of Beauty-PalmdaleMarinello School of Beauty-ReddingMarinello School of Beauty-ResedaMarinello School of Beauty-San BernardinoMarinello School of Beauty-San MateoMarinello School of Beauty-San RafaelMarinello School of Beauty-StocktonMarinello School of Beauty-WhittierMarinello Schools of Beauty-BellMarinello Schools of Beauty-City of IndustryMarinello Schools of Beauty-HemetMarinello Schools of Beauty-Huntington BeachMarinello Schools of Beauty-Lake ForestMarinello Schools of Beauty-LomitaMarinello Schools of Beauty-Los AngelesMarinello Schools of Beauty-Moreno ValleyMarinello Schools of Beauty-ParamountMarinello Schools of Beauty-Santa ClaraMarinello Schools of Beauty-Simi ValleyMarinello Schools of Beauty-VictorvilleMarinello Schools of Beauty-VisaliaMarshall B Ketchum UniversityMarymount California UniversityMarymount University - Waterfront CampusMayfield CollegeMediaTech Institute-OceansideMedical Allied Career CenterMendocino CollegeMenlo CollegeMerced CollegeMerritt CollegeMiami Ad School-San FranciscoMilan Institute of Cosmetology-FairfieldMilan Institute of Cosmetology-VisaliaMilan Institute-MercedMilan Institute-Palm DesertMills CollegeMira Costa CollegeMission CollegeModern Technology SchoolModesto Junior CollegeMoler Barber CollegeMonterey Institute of International StudiesMonterey Peninsula CollegeMoorpark College Mount St Mary's CollegeMt San Antonio College Mt. San Jacinto CollegeMusicians InstituteNational UniversityNaval Postgraduate SchoolNewSchool of Architecture + DesignNorth Orange County Community College DistrictNotre Dame de Namur UniversityOccidental CollegeOhlone CollegeOrange Coast College Otis College of Art and DesignPacific Oaks CollegePacific Union CollegePalo Verde College Palomar CollegePasadena City CollegePepperdine UniversityPeralta CollegePierce CollegePitzer CollegePoint Loma Nazarene UniversityPomona CollegePorterville College Reedley College Rio Hondo College Riverside Community CollegeSacramento City College Saddleback CollegeSaint Mary's CollegeSamuel Merritt CollegeSan Diego City CollegeSan Diego Community College DistrictSan Diego Mesa College San Diego Miramar College San Diego StateSan Francisco State UniversitySan Joaquin Delta College San Jose City College San Jose State UniversitySan Jose-Evergreen Community College DistrictSanta Barbara City CollegeSanta Clara UniversitySanta Monica CollegeScripps CollegeScripps Research InstituteShasta CollegeSierra CollegeSimpson UniversitySkyline College Solano Community College Sonoma State UniversitySouth Orange County Community College DistrictSouthern California Institute of ArchitectureStanford UniversityState Center Community College DistrictTaft College The Art Institute of California-Los AngelesThe Art Institute of California-Orange CountyThe Art Institute of California-San DiegoThe Art Institute of California-San FranciscoThe Fashion Institute of Design & MerchandisingThe Master's College and SeminaryThe Wright InstituteUC BerkeleyUC DavisUC Hastings College of the LawUC IrvineUC MercedUC RiversideUC San DiegoUC San FranciscoUC Santa BarbaraUC Santa CruzUCLAUniversity of La VerneUniversity of RedlandsUniversity of San DiegoUniversity of San FranciscoUniversity of the PacificUSCVanguard University of Southern CaliforniaVentura CollegeVentura County Community College DistrictVictor Valley CollegeWest Hills Community College DistrictWest Hills Community College- CoalingaWest Hills Community College-LemooreWest Los Angeles College West Valley CollegeWestern University of Health SciencesWestmont CollegeWhittier CollegeWoodbury UniversityWoodland Community College World Mission UniversityYosemite Community College DistrictYuba College
- By State
- By City