Life of Pi Review
f Pi is an accurate adaption of the book by Yann Martel. Suraj Sharma stars as Pi Patel in his teenage years, and for such a new actor he delivers an incredible performance in a movie that is fueled by his emotional turmoils and life changing journey.
The movie starts out by drafting the narrative in an interview format, with an adult Pi Patel played by Irrfan Khan. Irrfan Khan is warm and wise in his role as he explains his life-changing story to a reporter, Rafe Spall. While the reporter fills the position as a burgeoning writer wanting to catch a story, his interests seem only to be the story itself, not the person beyond it. His flat and emotionless acting seem to downplay the outstanding journey Pi Patel has taken. In this, it is a shame that the movie seeks to replicate the book so strongly, because the movie itself would have been a stronger cinematic experience without the frequent interruptions of Rafe Spall.
Soon after the audience is showed a much younger Pi Patel, Ayush Tandon, who is stubborn and sulky in his fanatical pursuit of religion. Yet while the pursuits of Pi are intense, the film creates his intensity with a understandable and entertaining narration. His Hindu gods are described as superheroes, and this childlike innocence serves further to enhance the portrayal of Pi’s wacky and lovable character.
The film excels with its atmospheric and visually spectacular scenery. When Pi gets cast off into the boat and is forced to leave his family behind, both the terrible force of the ocean, with the loud crashing waves- some that even rival those in The Perfect Storm, and the chaos of the moment are thrown at the audience with tremendous vivacity.
Prepare to be dazzled by beautiful cinematography and a haunting soundtrack that highlights jelly fish fields, to glowing landscapes, and the CGI of a Bengal tiger. The digital tiger never becomes laughable, as CGI’s often do, but instead the stellar effects of the tiger portray a larger arrange of emotions inside a tiger than previously thought impossible. It makes the film’s mystical and spiritual themes even more poignant, as Pi seeks to find a friend in the unruly complicated animal.
The ending of this moving sticks close to the book’s ending, and while initially it seems to be strange and similar to popular “Inception” endings, a closer evaluation reveals and highlights the film’s tremendous capability to instill beauty into horror. It might just make you “believe in God”.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Entertainment Articles
Recent News Articles
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
- One “Independent Study Course” Students MUST Take
- From Behind The Register: The Training Student Retail Workers...
- Gathering up for "4-20"
- 6 Life-Ruining (In the Good Way) iOS Games
- "A Really Sluggish Journey" Treasure Hunter Kumiko (2015) Review
- The Return of Game of Thrones Season
- HOPEchella raises over five hundred dollars for Semillas
MOST POPULAR NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeUC Santa BarbaraCal PolyUC DavisUC IrvineUC San DiegoUC Santa CruzStanford UniversityUCLACal Poly PomonaCSU ChicoCSU FullertonCSU Long BeachCSU NorthridgeCSU SacramentoUC BerkeleyPepperdine UniversitySan Diego StateSan Francisco State UniversitySan Jose State UniversityUSCCalifornia State University-San BernardinoCalifornia State University-FresnoCalifornia State University-Los AngelesUC RiversideCalifornia Institute of TechnologyCalifornia State University-Dominguez HillsCalifornia State University-East BayOccidental CollegeLoyola Marymount UniversityCabrillo CollegeAlliant International UniversityAzusa Pacific UniversityAntelope Valley CollegeBakersfield CollegeBiola UniversityBrooks Institute of PhotographyCalifornia Baptist UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeCalifornia Pacific UniversityCalifornia State University Monterey BayCuesta CollegeConcordia University IrvineCalifornia State University Channel IslandsDiablo Valley CollegeBethany UniversitySanta Barbara City CollegeFive Branches UniversityWest Valley CollegeWestmont CollegeUC MercedUC Hastings College of the LawPalomar CollegeSaint Mary's CollegeSonoma State UniversitySierra CollegeChapman UniversitySaddleback CollegePacific Union CollegePierce CollegePasadena City CollegeFeather River CollegeCalifornia Culinary AcademyMira Costa CollegeLos Rios Community College DistrictLas Positas CollegeGrossmont CollegeIrvine Valley CollegeMenlo CollegeAllan Hancock CollegeHumboldt State UniversityUniversity of San DiegoUniversity of San FranciscoLoma Linda UniversityFullerton CollegeSanta Clara UniversityChabot CollegeFoothill CollegeNational UniversityButte CollegeAcademy of Art UniversityWhittier CollegeLincoln UniversityMerced CollegeCalifornia State University-BakersfieldSanta Monica CollegeMt. San Jacinto CollegeCoast Community College DistrictRiverside Community CollegeUniversity of the PacificPomona CollegeLa Sierra UniversityScripps Research InstituteDe Anza CollegeGrossmount-Cuyamaca Community CollegeAmerican Intercontinental UniversityArt Center College of DesignCalifornia College of the ArtsCalifornia Institute of Integral StudiesCalifornia Institute of the ArtsCalifornia Lutheran UniversityCSU San MarcosCalifornia State University-StanislausClaremont Graduate UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeDominican University of CaliforniaEx-Pression College for Digital ArtsFielding Graduate UniversityFresno Pacific UniversityFuller Theological SeminaryGolden Gate UniversityHoly Names UniversityJohn F Kennedy UniversityMills CollegeMount St Mary's CollegeMusicians InstituteNaval Postgraduate SchoolNotre Dame de Namur UniversityOtis College of Art and DesignPacific Oaks CollegePoint Loma Nazarene UniversitySamuel Merritt CollegeSimpson UniversityThe Art Institute of California-Los AngelesThe Art Institute of California-Orange CountyThe Art Institute of California-San DiegoThe Art Institute of California-San FranciscoThe Fashion Institute of Design & MerchandisingThe Master's College and SeminaryUC San FranciscoUniversity of La VerneUniversity of RedlandsVanguard University of Southern CaliforniaPeralta CollegeWestern University of Health SciencesWoodbury UniversityCity College of San FranciscoCalifornia Institute of the Healing Arts and SciencesCypress CollegeEast Los Angeles CollegeLos Angeles City CollegeCollege of MarinOhlone CollegePitzer CollegeSouthern California Institute of ArchitectureScripps CollegeSan Diego Christian CollegeWorld Mission UniversityThe Wright InstituteCerro Coso Community CollegeCollege of the DesertSan Diego City CollegeArgosy UniversityImperial Valley CollegeModesto Junior CollegeShasta CollegeCollege of San MateoCollege of SiskiyousLassen Community CollegeVentura CollegeNewSchool of Architecture + Designtest school
- By State
- By City