5 Holiday Movies to Watch This Winter
The holidays are upon us, which means it’s time to bundle up with family and friends and watch some seasonal entertainment. While cheesy and overly-saturated with some greater lesson on the meaning of Christmas, everyone’s got a bit of a soft spot f
Despite being played constantly throughout the holiday season, “A Christmas Story” remains one of the funniest and most genuine Christmas movies out there. Even if you have not seen the film, you know about the Red Ryder BB gun, the mocking taunt of “you’ll shoot your eye out, you’ll shoot your eye out”, and of course the “battle of the lamp”. It has become as iconic as Christmas itself, telling the story of a nine year-old boy and his family making it through the holidays. I know I can’t make it through the Christmas season without watching it at least once, so if you happen to be flipping through the channels and happen to see Ralphie fantasizing about his Red Ryder BB gun, it’s worth your time.
Jingle All the Way
More than blood-crazed aliens, evil artificial intelligence, and Batman, I believe Arnold Schwarzenegger’s biggest nemesis has been Turbo-Man. “Jingle All the Way” follows Howard Langston (Arnold Schwarzenegger) in his frantic attempt to find a Turbo-Man action figure for his son before Christmas. The acting is mediocre, but watching Schwarzenegger battle Sinbad while both are dressed as action figures in the middle of a Christmas parade is pretty spectacular.
I’ll Be Home for Christmas
After being abandoned in the desert dressed as Santa, Jake Wilkinson (Jonathan Taylor Weiss of Home Improvement) makes a mad dash from California to New York to make it home in time for Christmas with his family. Jake’s shenanigans along the way are so outrageous that I don’t want to spoil them here. Jessica Biel plays the love interest who spends most of the movie mad at Jake because of his selfish approach to the holidays. Like most Christmas/ holiday movies, “I’ll Be Home for Christmas” gets cheesy and unbelievable at points, but ’tis the season.
The first time I watched this movie, I was immediately disappointed that I had not seen it earlier. Gus (Denis Leary) is a criminal who after a botched robbery takes Lloyd and Caroline Chasseur (Kevin Spacey and Judy Davis) hostage on Christmas eve. The seriousness of the situation is diffused by the constant bickering of Lloyd and Caroline, both of whom take every opportunity to verbally jab at one another. Gus quickly becomes involved, and even more stress is added when Lloyd’s aggressive family comes for dinner. The dialogue is sharp, the characters are delightfully awful, and it even has a corny Christmas ending.
The Christmas Invasion
While it’s not a Christmas movie in the standard meaning, it does take place on Christmas and give the viewers something wonderful. “The Christmas Invasion” is an hour-long Doctor Who special debuting David Tennant as the Doctor. As hesitant as I was the first time around to embrace Tennant after such a brief time with Christopher Eccleston, “The Christmas Invasion” quickly became one of my favorite Doctor Who episodes. Rose and the Doctor must stop an invading alien race from taking half of humanity as slaves. All Doctor Who Christmas specials make me feel a little bad for the inhabitants of England who can’t seem to get a holiday break from the mischief that follows the Doctor. Solid episode, and a great way to start the era of Tennant as the Doctor.
Enjoy your break and tell me about your favorite holiday movie in the comments below!
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More Uloop Entertainment Articles
Recent News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
- "Omnipotence?" Lucy (2014) Review
- Last Week Tonight: in Need for a bit of Supplementation
- "Almost Juno" The Fault In Our Stars (Movie) Review
- "The Actual Change": Legend of Korra Season 3 Premiere Review Part 2
- To Move Back In With Your Parents After You Graduate Or Not: That...
- Gimmicky First Episodes: The Legend of Korra Season 3 Premiere...
- The 1960's and the Cool, or Talking About My Generation
MOST POPULAR NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeUC Santa BarbaraCal PolyUC DavisUC IrvineUC San DiegoUC Santa CruzStanford UniversityUCLACal Poly PomonaCSU ChicoCSU FullertonCSU Long BeachCSU NorthridgeCSU SacramentoUC BerkeleyPepperdine UniversitySan Diego StateSan Francisco State UniversitySan Jose State UniversityUSCCalifornia State University-San BernardinoCalifornia State University-FresnoCalifornia State University-Los AngelesUC RiversideCalifornia Institute of TechnologyCalifornia State University-Dominguez HillsCalifornia State University-East BayOccidental CollegeLoyola Marymount UniversityCabrillo CollegeAlliant International UniversityAzusa Pacific UniversityAntelope Valley CollegeBakersfield CollegeBiola UniversityBrooks Institute of PhotographyCalifornia Baptist UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeCalifornia Pacific UniversityCalifornia State University Monterey BayCuesta CollegeConcordia University IrvineCalifornia State University Channel IslandsDiablo Valley CollegeBethany UniversitySanta Barbara City CollegeFive Branches UniversityWest Valley CollegeWestmont CollegeUC MercedUC Hastings College of the LawPalomar CollegeSaint Mary's CollegeSonoma State UniversitySierra CollegeChapman UniversitySaddleback CollegePacific Union CollegePierce CollegePasadena City CollegeFeather River CollegeCalifornia Culinary AcademyMira Costa CollegeLos Rios Community College DistrictLas Positas CollegeGrossmont CollegeIrvine Valley CollegeMenlo CollegeAllan Hancock CollegeHumboldt State UniversityUniversity of San DiegoUniversity of San FranciscoLoma Linda UniversityFullerton CollegeSanta Clara UniversityChabot CollegeFoothill CollegeNational UniversityButte CollegeAcademy of Art UniversityWhittier CollegeLincoln UniversityMerced CollegeCalifornia State University-BakersfieldSanta Monica CollegeMt. San Jacinto CollegeCoast Community College DistrictRiverside Community CollegeUniversity of the PacificPomona CollegeLa Sierra UniversityScripps Research InstituteDe Anza CollegeGrossmount-Cuyamaca Community CollegeAmerican Intercontinental UniversityArt Center College of DesignCalifornia College of the ArtsCalifornia Institute of Integral StudiesCalifornia Institute of the ArtsCalifornia Lutheran UniversityCSU San MarcosCalifornia State University-StanislausClaremont Graduate UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeDominican University of CaliforniaEx-Pression College for Digital ArtsFielding Graduate UniversityFresno Pacific UniversityFuller Theological SeminaryGolden Gate UniversityHoly Names UniversityJohn F Kennedy UniversityMills CollegeMount St Mary's CollegeMusicians InstituteNaval Postgraduate SchoolNotre Dame de Namur UniversityOtis College of Art and DesignPacific Oaks CollegePoint Loma Nazarene UniversitySamuel Merritt CollegeSimpson UniversityThe Art Institute of California-Los AngelesThe Art Institute of California-Orange CountyThe Art Institute of California-San DiegoThe Art Institute of California-San FranciscoThe Fashion Institute of Design & MerchandisingThe Master's College and SeminaryUC San FranciscoUniversity of La VerneUniversity of RedlandsVanguard University of Southern CaliforniaPeralta CollegeWestern University of Health SciencesWoodbury UniversityCity College of San FranciscoCalifornia Institute of the Healing Arts and SciencesCypress CollegeEast Los Angeles CollegeLos Angeles City CollegeCollege of MarinOhlone CollegePitzer CollegeSouthern California Institute of ArchitectureScripps CollegeSan Diego Christian CollegeWorld Mission UniversityThe Wright InstituteCerro Coso Community CollegeCollege of the DesertSan Diego City CollegeArgosy UniversityImperial Valley CollegeModesto Junior CollegeShasta CollegeCollege of San MateoCollege of SiskiyousLassen Community CollegeVentura CollegeNewSchool of Architecture + Design
- By State
- By City