The Pervasive Racism of Modern White Progressives
Increasingly, prominent white “progressives” be it political commentators, celebrities, university professors, etc. claim to be exempt from racism. They see themselves as martyrs for electing America’s first black president, while characterizing any Obama detractors as bigots.
Case in point, in an interview from Jan. 2012 hosted by Tavis Smiley of PBS, radical leftist film director Michael Moore suggested that “The only white age group that President Obama won [in 2008] was 18 to 29 year olds…Those of you my age, our kids, they’re not bigots, they’re not homophobes. They don’t look at it the way that the grandparents and the great-grandparents did. This is going to get better with the next generations, I believe it.” 
However, the assumption that all white critics of Obama are prejudiced is itself racist. There are black critics of Obama. Moore’s statement is an attack on white critics because they are white.
The modern American professoriate is saturated with progressives who inculcate students with this same racist assumption. For over 30 years, UC Santa Cruz Feminist Studies instructor Bettina Aptheker has used her platform as a professor to demonize “white people,” especially white men, as racists who seek to oppress men and women of color.
In an introductory to feminism lecture, Aptheker stated that, “Racism in the United States was invented by white people…not by people of color. That’s how it starts. And it has to be re-inscribed with every generation of white people. We learn it. We learn it as part of this culture. And then we re-inscribe it unless we have a consciousness to be able to overcome it.” 
There is no factual basis for these statements. If the white founders of this country were racists, how come they declared that “all men are created equal” in the Declaration of Independence? How come the white majority fought a Civil War that freed the slaves, and then passed the 14th Amendment which declared every American regardless of race equal protection under the law? To say that every generation of white people in this country is racist is a racist slander.
In the same introductory to feminism lecture, Aptheker argued, “So then we have the terrible tragedy of September 11th…terrorist act, yes? Innocent people killed and so forth…and what do we do? We round up every Arab-American we can find…and every brown-skinned person.”
This is a demonstrably false statement and an expression of Aptheker’s racist attitudes towards her country and her countrymen and women. She continued, “You know if you name the mass murderers in the United States…have you seen Columbine, the movie? Name the mass murderers in the United States…they’re all white men. You can’t hardly find a person of color that’s ever been a mass murderer. We round up white men? …Do you see the point? That’s the racism every day…So that’s the ‘White Privilege.’” 
This is another racist falsehood. For example, Wayne Williams, currently serving two consecutive life sentences for being implicated in the Atlanta Child Murders of over two dozen African-American children and young men, is in fact, black. 
Aptheker has every right under the First Amendment to display her ignorance and espouse racist prejudices. However as a professor, she has responsibilities which include being scholarly and accurate, receptive and open-minded.
It’s a shame that the University of California permits its professors to engage in such inappropriate conduct, a violation of the UC Regents’ own stated principles. It’s an outrage that in a state that prides itself on its inclusiveness and tolerance, someone as racist as Aptheker should be a tenured professor with a salary of over $100,000 a year courtesy of California taxpayers. 
1. “Remaking America: From Poverty to Prosperity,” Tavis Smiley, 2012.
2. “Unlearning Racism: On the Meaning of White Superiority,” Bettina Aptheker, 2008.
3. DNA test strengthens Atlanta child killings case,” Jim Polk, 2010.
4. “State Worker Salary Search,” The Sacramento Bee, 2011.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Politics Articles
Recent News Articles
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
- Why Virtual Tours Will Strengthen Your Property's Website
- How To Build, Develop, And Maintain Relationships With College...
- Challenges You May Face When Renting To College Students
- How to Make Netflix Binge-Watching More Fun
- Set Boundaries With Your Housemates
- Suggestions for Summer Lovin'
- Events Student Housing Landlords Can Use to Find Tenants
MOST POPULAR NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeUC Santa BarbaraCal PolyUC DavisUC IrvineUC San DiegoUC Santa CruzStanford UniversityUCLACal Poly PomonaCSU ChicoCSU FullertonCSU Long BeachCSU NorthridgeCSU SacramentoUC BerkeleyPepperdine UniversitySan Diego StateSan Francisco State UniversitySan Jose State UniversityUSCCalifornia State University-San BernardinoCalifornia State University-FresnoCalifornia State University-Los AngelesUC RiversideCalifornia Institute of TechnologyCalifornia State University-Dominguez HillsCalifornia State University-East BayOccidental CollegeLoyola Marymount UniversityCabrillo CollegeAlliant International UniversityAzusa Pacific UniversityAntelope Valley CollegeBakersfield CollegeBiola UniversityBrooks Institute of PhotographyCalifornia Baptist UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeCalifornia Pacific UniversityCalifornia State University Monterey BayCuesta CollegeConcordia University IrvineCalifornia State University Channel IslandsDiablo Valley CollegeBethany UniversitySanta Barbara City CollegeFive Branches UniversityWest Valley CollegeWestmont CollegeUC MercedUC Hastings College of the LawPalomar CollegeSaint Mary's CollegeSonoma State UniversitySierra CollegeChapman UniversitySaddleback CollegePacific Union CollegePierce CollegePasadena City CollegeFeather River CollegeCalifornia Culinary AcademyMira Costa CollegeLos Rios Community College DistrictLas Positas CollegeGrossmont CollegeIrvine Valley CollegeMenlo CollegeAllan Hancock CollegeHumboldt State UniversityUniversity of San DiegoUniversity of San FranciscoLoma Linda UniversityFullerton CollegeSanta Clara UniversityChabot CollegeFoothill CollegeNational UniversityButte CollegeAcademy of Art UniversityWhittier CollegeLincoln UniversityMerced CollegeCalifornia State University-BakersfieldSanta Monica CollegeMt. San Jacinto CollegeCoast Community College DistrictRiverside Community CollegeUniversity of the PacificPomona CollegeLa Sierra UniversityScripps Research InstituteDe Anza CollegeGrossmount-Cuyamaca Community CollegeAmerican Intercontinental UniversityArt Center College of DesignCalifornia College of the ArtsCalifornia Institute of Integral StudiesCalifornia Institute of the ArtsCalifornia Lutheran UniversityCSU San MarcosCalifornia State University-StanislausClaremont Graduate UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeDominican University of CaliforniaEx-Pression College for Digital ArtsFielding Graduate UniversityFresno Pacific UniversityFuller Theological SeminaryGolden Gate UniversityHoly Names UniversityJohn F Kennedy UniversityMills CollegeMount St Mary's CollegeMusicians InstituteNaval Postgraduate SchoolNotre Dame de Namur UniversityOtis College of Art and DesignPacific Oaks CollegePoint Loma Nazarene UniversitySamuel Merritt CollegeSimpson UniversityThe Art Institute of California-Los AngelesThe Art Institute of California-Orange CountyThe Art Institute of California-San DiegoThe Art Institute of California-San FranciscoThe Fashion Institute of Design & MerchandisingThe Master's College and SeminaryUC San FranciscoUniversity of La VerneUniversity of RedlandsVanguard University of Southern CaliforniaPeralta CollegeWestern University of Health SciencesWoodbury UniversityCity College of San FranciscoCalifornia Institute of the Healing Arts and SciencesCypress CollegeEast Los Angeles CollegeLos Angeles City CollegeCollege of MarinOhlone CollegePitzer CollegeSouthern California Institute of ArchitectureScripps CollegeSan Diego Christian CollegeWorld Mission UniversityThe Wright InstituteCerro Coso Community CollegeCollege of the DesertSan Diego City CollegeArgosy UniversityImperial Valley CollegeModesto Junior CollegeShasta CollegeCollege of San MateoCollege of SiskiyousLassen Community CollegeVentura CollegeNewSchool of Architecture + Design
- By State
- By City