Cruz N Gourmet at UCSC
Every Tuesday after my noon class I walk over to the Engineering 2 circle and get in line for the Cruz N Gourmet food truck. Conveniently located on Science Hill at the Engineering 2 circle, Cruz N Gourmet makes stops at UCSC on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 11am until 2:15pm. Kathy Wallace, expediter and co-founder of the food truck, can be heard shouting out finished orders and handing plates of hot, fresh food to eager students. Kathy and co-founder Daric Wallace moved to Santa Cruz in 2008, and founded Cruz N Gourmet in April 2011. The menu features a delicious selection of simple, filling, dishes that showcase the pairs culinary excellence. In addition to being conveniently located at one of the busiest locations on campus, grabbing a bite from Cruz N Gourmet is also a great way to support a local business while getting a fresh and healthy meal.
If you’re trying Cruz N Gourmet for the first time, I’d suggest the Southwest Chicken Burrito. The Southwest Chicken Burrito can be served as a rice bowl, wrap, or taco. I prefer it as a rice bowl and it is by far my favorite dish on the menu. It’s so good, I’ve had a hard time convincing myself to try other things on the menu. The chipotle cream is tangy and compliments the marinated chicken well. I usually do not like corn salsa, but in this dish it works superbly and helps add sweetness to the rice.
The Louisiana Hot Link is great if you want something quick, yet hearty to eat. Cruz N Gourmet splits the link before grilling it, so all the shredded pepper jack cheese and sauteed onions are included in every bite of hot link. I usually add some brown mustard to give it an extra kick.
Typically I prefer fish and chicken as my protein in a meal, but the Sweet Indonesian Pulled Pork is delicious. More than the pulled pork, I’ve fallen head over heels for the creamy sesame slaw on the side. It’s sweet, creamy, and crispy. The pulled pork can be saltier than I’d prefer, so a bite of the slaw along with the pork balances out the meal. The slaw is also this dynamite soft purple color that really pops on the plate. Like the Southwest Chicken Burrito, the Pulled Pork can be served as a rice bowl, taco, or wrap.
The Cruz N Gourmet menu also features vegetarian dishes, like mushroom quesadillas and garden burgers. There is a 6$ requirement with debit/ credit card transactions, so I’d suggest paying with cash. The menu changes with the seasons, so make sure to check out Cruz N Gourmet’s website to see what is currently on the menu.
Do you frequent any food trucks on the UCSC campus or around Santa Cruz? Share your stories and favorites in the comments section below!
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
Recent News Articles
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
- En Route: Connecting Communities Through Dance
- How to 'Take Care' at UCSC
- Pitch Not-So-Perfect: Satire or Too Far?
- 10 Locations Students Love When It Comes To Housing
- "Week of Ultron" Avengers: Age of Ultron Review (2015)
- What Do College Students Want In Summer Housing?
- Making the Most of the College Home-Stretch
MOST POPULAR NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeUC Santa BarbaraCal PolyUC DavisUC IrvineUC San DiegoUC Santa CruzStanford UniversityUCLACal Poly PomonaCSU ChicoCSU FullertonCSU Long BeachCSU NorthridgeCSU SacramentoUC BerkeleyPepperdine UniversitySan Diego StateSan Francisco State UniversitySan Jose State UniversityUSCCalifornia State University-San BernardinoCalifornia State University-FresnoCalifornia State University-Los AngelesUC RiversideCalifornia Institute of TechnologyCalifornia State University-Dominguez HillsCalifornia State University-East BayOccidental CollegeLoyola Marymount UniversityCabrillo CollegeAlliant International UniversityAzusa Pacific UniversityAntelope Valley CollegeBakersfield CollegeBiola UniversityBrooks Institute of PhotographyCalifornia Baptist UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeCalifornia Pacific UniversityCalifornia State University Monterey BayCuesta CollegeConcordia University IrvineCalifornia State University Channel IslandsDiablo Valley CollegeBethany UniversitySanta Barbara City CollegeFive Branches UniversityWest Valley CollegeWestmont CollegeUC MercedUC Hastings College of the LawPalomar CollegeSaint Mary's CollegeSonoma State UniversitySierra CollegeChapman UniversitySaddleback CollegePacific Union CollegePierce CollegePasadena City CollegeFeather River CollegeCalifornia Culinary AcademyMira Costa CollegeLos Rios Community College DistrictLas Positas CollegeGrossmont CollegeIrvine Valley CollegeMenlo CollegeAllan Hancock CollegeHumboldt State UniversityUniversity of San DiegoUniversity of San FranciscoLoma Linda UniversityFullerton CollegeSanta Clara UniversityChabot CollegeFoothill CollegeNational UniversityButte CollegeAcademy of Art UniversityWhittier CollegeLincoln UniversityMerced CollegeCalifornia State University-BakersfieldSanta Monica CollegeMt. San Jacinto CollegeCoast Community College DistrictRiverside Community CollegeUniversity of the PacificPomona CollegeLa Sierra UniversityScripps Research InstituteDe Anza CollegeGrossmount-Cuyamaca Community CollegeAmerican Intercontinental UniversityArt Center College of DesignCalifornia College of the ArtsCalifornia Institute of Integral StudiesCalifornia Institute of the ArtsCalifornia Lutheran UniversityCSU San MarcosCalifornia State University-StanislausClaremont Graduate UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeDominican University of CaliforniaEx-Pression College for Digital ArtsFielding Graduate UniversityFresno Pacific UniversityFuller Theological SeminaryGolden Gate UniversityHoly Names UniversityJohn F Kennedy UniversityMills CollegeMount St Mary's CollegeMusicians InstituteNaval Postgraduate SchoolNotre Dame de Namur UniversityOtis College of Art and DesignPacific Oaks CollegePoint Loma Nazarene UniversitySamuel Merritt CollegeSimpson UniversityThe Art Institute of California-Los AngelesThe Art Institute of California-Orange CountyThe Art Institute of California-San DiegoThe Art Institute of California-San FranciscoThe Fashion Institute of Design & MerchandisingThe Master's College and SeminaryUC San FranciscoUniversity of La VerneUniversity of RedlandsVanguard University of Southern CaliforniaPeralta CollegeWestern University of Health SciencesWoodbury UniversityCity College of San FranciscoCalifornia Institute of the Healing Arts and SciencesCypress CollegeEast Los Angeles CollegeLos Angeles City CollegeCollege of MarinOhlone CollegePitzer CollegeSouthern California Institute of ArchitectureScripps CollegeSan Diego Christian CollegeWorld Mission UniversityThe Wright InstituteCerro Coso Community CollegeCollege of the DesertSan Diego City CollegeArgosy UniversityImperial Valley CollegeModesto Junior CollegeShasta CollegeCollege of San MateoCollege of SiskiyousLassen Community CollegeVentura CollegeNewSchool of Architecture + Designtest school
- By State
- By City