Radical UC Santa Cruz Professor Exposed
Bettina Aptheker, the architect of the UC Santa Cruz Feminist Studies Department, has dedicated her career as a professor to indoctrinating her students. She regularly inserts racially and politically charged rhetoric into her lectures that is completely tangential to the subject matter of a course on feminist theory.
Yale Law School Dean Robert Post, considered the most prominent scholar on professor conduct, recently described in an interview that “…what is prohibited here [in the classroom] is a form of indoctrination, which is not educating someone, but simply reproducing your point of view in the student…it just teaches the student what you think.” 
Aptheker, however, has spent over 30 years reproducing her radical communist ideology rather than educating them strictly on the principles of feminism.
For example, during a lecture in an introductory to feminism course, Aptheker asserted that “People of color have very finely tuned intuition about white people…both men and women…This intuition is very acute around police…very acute…especially white police officers. Why? Because they kill a lot of young men of color.”  While this statement exposes Aptheker’s prejudices against “white police officers,” it is inappropriate in a classroom environment where a professor is tasked with educating students on feminist ideals, not indoctrinating them with the professor’s racist opinions. The primary responsibility of a teacher is to teach young people to think, not to tell them what to think.  In this instance, Aptheker is performing the latter.
In another introductory to feminism lecture, Aptheker claimed, “So we have a president [President Bush] now that thinks that global warming is some kind of myth…and yet we can see the effects of global warming everywhere…certain countries are just going to be underwater like Holland for example…Bangladesh is going to be completely underwater. And it won’t take much more.” 
White police officers kill a lot of “young men of color”? “Bangladesh is going to be completely underwater”? This is a course on feminism? Aptheker is not teaching her students how to think, she is teaching them what to think.
Aptheker’s overt political rhetoric isn’t exclusive to the two lectures referenced. In fact, an entire DVD series released in 2008 chronicles 17 lectures from her “Introduction to Feminisms” course all of which expose her indoctrination program disguised as an academic discipline. The series can be purchased online at introtofem.org and is available on reserve at UCSC’s McHenry Library.
The University of California System is in fiscal disarray. Student protesters are enraged by recent tuition hikes. Maybe the UC Regents should consider trimming their budget by eliminating professors who fail to teach students.
1. “Academic Freedom Interview,” Robert Post, 2012.
2. ”Placing Women at the Center of our Thinking,” Bettina Aptheker, 2008.
3. “Freedom in the Classroom,” American Association of University Professors,” 2007.
4. “Introduction,” Bettina Aptheker, 2008.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
Recent News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
MOST POPULAR NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeUC Santa BarbaraCal PolyUC DavisUC IrvineUC San DiegoUC Santa CruzStanford UniversityUCLACal Poly PomonaCSU ChicoCSU FullertonCSU Long BeachCSU NorthridgeCSU SacramentoUC BerkeleyPepperdine UniversitySan Diego StateSan Francisco State UniversitySan Jose State UniversityUSCCalifornia State University-San BernardinoCalifornia State University-FresnoCalifornia State University-Los AngelesUC RiversideCalifornia Institute of TechnologyCalifornia State University-Dominguez HillsCalifornia State University-East BayOccidental CollegeLoyola Marymount UniversityCabrillo CollegeAlliant International UniversityAzusa Pacific UniversityAntelope Valley CollegeBakersfield CollegeBiola UniversityBrooks Institute of PhotographyCalifornia Baptist UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeCalifornia Pacific UniversityCalifornia State University Monterey BayCuesta CollegeConcordia University IrvineCalifornia State University Channel IslandsDiablo Valley CollegeBethany UniversitySanta Barbara City CollegeFive Branches UniversityWest Valley CollegeWestmont CollegeUC MercedUC Hastings College of the LawPalomar CollegeSaint Mary's CollegeSonoma State UniversitySierra CollegeChapman UniversitySaddleback CollegePacific Union CollegePierce CollegePasadena City CollegeFeather River CollegeCalifornia Culinary AcademyMira Costa CollegeLos Rios Community College DistrictLas Positas CollegeGrossmont CollegeIrvine Valley CollegeMenlo CollegeAllan Hancock CollegeHumboldt State UniversityUniversity of San DiegoUniversity of San FranciscoLoma Linda UniversityFullerton CollegeSanta Clara UniversityChabot CollegeFoothill CollegeNational UniversityButte CollegeAcademy of Art UniversityWhittier CollegeLincoln UniversityMerced CollegeCalifornia State University-BakersfieldSanta Monica CollegeMt. San Jacinto CollegeCoast Community College DistrictRiverside Community CollegeUniversity of the PacificPomona CollegeLa Sierra UniversityScripps Research InstituteDe Anza CollegeGrossmount-Cuyamaca Community CollegeAmerican Intercontinental UniversityArt Center College of DesignCalifornia College of the ArtsCalifornia Institute of Integral StudiesCalifornia Institute of the ArtsCalifornia Lutheran UniversityCSU San MarcosCalifornia State University-StanislausClaremont Graduate UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeDominican University of CaliforniaEx-Pression College for Digital ArtsFielding Graduate UniversityFresno Pacific UniversityFuller Theological SeminaryGolden Gate UniversityHoly Names UniversityJohn F Kennedy UniversityMills CollegeMount St Mary's CollegeMusicians InstituteNaval Postgraduate SchoolNotre Dame de Namur UniversityOtis College of Art and DesignPacific Oaks CollegePoint Loma Nazarene UniversitySamuel Merritt CollegeSimpson UniversityThe Art Institute of California-Los AngelesThe Art Institute of California-Orange CountyThe Art Institute of California-San DiegoThe Art Institute of California-San FranciscoThe Fashion Institute of Design & MerchandisingThe Master's College and SeminaryUC San FranciscoUniversity of La VerneUniversity of RedlandsVanguard University of Southern CaliforniaPeralta CollegeWestern University of Health SciencesWoodbury UniversityCity College of San FranciscoCalifornia Institute of the Healing Arts and SciencesCypress CollegeEast Los Angeles CollegeLos Angeles City CollegeCollege of MarinOhlone CollegePitzer CollegeSouthern California Institute of ArchitectureScripps CollegeSan Diego Christian CollegeWorld Mission UniversityThe Wright InstituteCerro Coso Community CollegeCollege of the DesertSan Diego City CollegeArgosy UniversityImperial Valley CollegeModesto Junior CollegeShasta CollegeCollege of San MateoCollege of SiskiyousLassen Community CollegeVentura CollegeNewSchool of Architecture + Design
- By State
- By City