4 Reasons Why The Feminist Studies Department Is A Political Indoctrination Program
UCSC students salivate at the opportunity to protest. Be it tuition hikes, education cuts, “The 1%,” etc., yet they for some reason ignore the fact that the academic departments on campus fail to execute their primary obligation: to educate. The Feminist Studies Department isn’t academic in the slightest, rather it’s a political indoctrination program run by radical feminists seeking to propagate their own sectarian ideals. Classes are designed solely for the advancement of political agendas, not providing quality education as the UC Regents have identified as a moral and contractual relationship between the University and its students. Below are four examples of academic malpractice within the Feminist Studies Department:
1) Feminist Studies 1-An Introduction: Architect of the Feminist Studies Department, Bettina Aptheker, wrote in her 2006 autobiography Intimate Politics: How I Grew Up Red, Fought For Free Speech, and Became a Feminist Rebel that she redesigned the “Introduction to Feminism” course, “making it more overtly political, and taught the class in the context of the women’s movement.” In her own admission, Professor Aptheker claims that this course isn’t academic, it is instead purely political and violates the UC Regents Policy on Course Content which states, “Misuse of the classroom by, for example, allowing it to be used for political indoctrination…constitutes misuse of the University as an institution.”
2) Angela Davis: Albeit then California governor Ronald Reagan requested in 1969 that she should be prohibited from teaching again within the University of California system because of her affiliation with the Communist Party USA in addition to being the third woman placed on the F.B.I.’s list of 10 most-wanted fugitives for charges of murder and kidnapping, the Feminist Studies Department has granted Angela Davis the title of Distinguished Professor Emerita. Miss Davis has yet to have produced anything remotely academic that isn’t entirely Marxist in over four decades as an “educator.”
3) The Social Construction of Gender: A number of courses within the Feminist Studies Department introduce the theory of the social construction of gender, which suggests that society determines behavioral differences between men and women regardless of biological factors. This theory is taught as if it were scientific fact based off extensive empirical evidence.
4) Feminist Studies 20-Feminism and Social Justice: According to the course’s syllabus, students enrolled in FMST 20, “will examine and critically analyze select post-World War II movements for social justice…from feminist perspectives.” It shouldn’t come as a surprise that this course is strictly examined from “feminist perspectives” given that its instructor, Bettina Aptheker, has dedicated her career to perpetuating her own one-sided radical feminist perspectives. Nonetheless, it is her obligation as a professor to facilitate an academic environment that allows for students to come to their own conclusions.
The next time students decide to cause tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of damages vandalizing the university protesting tuition hikes; they should consider the billions of dollars the University of California receives annually from taxpayers to fund academic departments that fail to comply with the UC Regents Policy on Course Content. However, that would require logic on the students’ behalf.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
Recent News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
- You’re Not Helpless: Insights From a Mexican Film
- Baghdadi's Boys: The Next Campaign in our Endless War
- "Like Calvin and Hobbes" Wolf Children: Ame and Yuki Review
- Bullying in College Communities
- Urban Outfitters and Kent State
- The Problem with College Fundraising
- Photo Safaris: The Key to Eliminating Stress
MOST POPULAR NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeUC Santa BarbaraCal PolyUC DavisUC IrvineUC San DiegoUC Santa CruzStanford UniversityUCLACal Poly PomonaCSU ChicoCSU FullertonCSU Long BeachCSU NorthridgeCSU SacramentoUC BerkeleyPepperdine UniversitySan Diego StateSan Francisco State UniversitySan Jose State UniversityUSCCalifornia State University-San BernardinoCalifornia State University-FresnoCalifornia State University-Los AngelesUC RiversideCalifornia Institute of TechnologyCalifornia State University-Dominguez HillsCalifornia State University-East BayOccidental CollegeLoyola Marymount UniversityCabrillo CollegeAlliant International UniversityAzusa Pacific UniversityAntelope Valley CollegeBakersfield CollegeBiola UniversityBrooks Institute of PhotographyCalifornia Baptist UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeCalifornia Pacific UniversityCalifornia State University Monterey BayCuesta CollegeConcordia University IrvineCalifornia State University Channel IslandsDiablo Valley CollegeBethany UniversitySanta Barbara City CollegeFive Branches UniversityWest Valley CollegeWestmont CollegeUC MercedUC Hastings College of the LawPalomar CollegeSaint Mary's CollegeSonoma State UniversitySierra CollegeChapman UniversitySaddleback CollegePacific Union CollegePierce CollegePasadena City CollegeFeather River CollegeCalifornia Culinary AcademyMira Costa CollegeLos Rios Community College DistrictLas Positas CollegeGrossmont CollegeIrvine Valley CollegeMenlo CollegeAllan Hancock CollegeHumboldt State UniversityUniversity of San DiegoUniversity of San FranciscoLoma Linda UniversityFullerton CollegeSanta Clara UniversityChabot CollegeFoothill CollegeNational UniversityButte CollegeAcademy of Art UniversityWhittier CollegeLincoln UniversityMerced CollegeCalifornia State University-BakersfieldSanta Monica CollegeMt. San Jacinto CollegeCoast Community College DistrictRiverside Community CollegeUniversity of the PacificPomona CollegeLa Sierra UniversityScripps Research InstituteDe Anza CollegeGrossmount-Cuyamaca Community CollegeAmerican Intercontinental UniversityArt Center College of DesignCalifornia College of the ArtsCalifornia Institute of Integral StudiesCalifornia Institute of the ArtsCalifornia Lutheran UniversityCSU San MarcosCalifornia State University-StanislausClaremont Graduate UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeDominican University of CaliforniaEx-Pression College for Digital ArtsFielding Graduate UniversityFresno Pacific UniversityFuller Theological SeminaryGolden Gate UniversityHoly Names UniversityJohn F Kennedy UniversityMills CollegeMount St Mary's CollegeMusicians InstituteNaval Postgraduate SchoolNotre Dame de Namur UniversityOtis College of Art and DesignPacific Oaks CollegePoint Loma Nazarene UniversitySamuel Merritt CollegeSimpson UniversityThe Art Institute of California-Los AngelesThe Art Institute of California-Orange CountyThe Art Institute of California-San DiegoThe Art Institute of California-San FranciscoThe Fashion Institute of Design & MerchandisingThe Master's College and SeminaryUC San FranciscoUniversity of La VerneUniversity of RedlandsVanguard University of Southern CaliforniaPeralta CollegeWestern University of Health SciencesWoodbury UniversityCity College of San FranciscoCalifornia Institute of the Healing Arts and SciencesCypress CollegeEast Los Angeles CollegeLos Angeles City CollegeCollege of MarinOhlone CollegePitzer CollegeSouthern California Institute of ArchitectureScripps CollegeSan Diego Christian CollegeWorld Mission UniversityThe Wright InstituteCerro Coso Community CollegeCollege of the DesertSan Diego City CollegeArgosy UniversityImperial Valley CollegeModesto Junior CollegeShasta CollegeCollege of San MateoCollege of SiskiyousLassen Community CollegeVentura CollegeNewSchool of Architecture + Design
- By State
- By City