Trash: The Sickness of the Ocean
Back home, (which for me is Los Angeles), I am an avid surfer. Every weekend I would haul my 6 foot tri-fin surfboard over the hill to Malibu and meet a group of friends to paddle out at our secret spot. I remember the sand between my toes while standing on the beach, checking out the waves. Yeah, I wish I was there right now while I am writing this. But I also remember the empty Cheetos bag sticking up out of the sand. I remember the childs toy floating next to me when I paddled out. I even remember the one time when a sea lion chomped off the end of a styrofoam brick floating four feet from me. In fact, it seems that ever since my pre-adolescent years, when I first learned how to surf at this beach, I have seen trash either in the sand or in the water every day I have paddled out. And my secret spot is not the only place afflicted by this excrement of society. Today, most of the world’s oceans and seas are filled with trash and waste that fills the stomachs of sea life and pollutes countless gallons of seawater every day.
Right now, somewhere in the middle of the vast Pacific Ocean, floats an “island” of trash and chemicals, estimated to be between the twice the size of the islands of Hawaii to twice the size of Texas. This trash has filled the stomachs of an incalculable, but extremely large, amount of sea life, which one can easily see in excruciating detail through an internet search. Every day birds fly back to their nests on remote islands all around the world, feeding their chicks with bits of plastic bottles and packaging. Once while I was surfing in the British Virgin Islands (near Jamaica) I paddled over to a very small grassy island to rest on its beach. Only when I stepped on to the sand did I see the entire stretch of sand was filled with plastic jugs and fishing lines. The hermit crabs that inhabited the beach had even dug small pathways between the heaps of garbage. It was very sad to see such a beautiful place from far away transform into an ugly mess.
One may think that this absurd amount of trash floating around the earth is in so much excess that any effort to reduce it is futile. And indeed, it nearly is. The only way the current amount of floating trash can be reduced is if the public becomes educated about the true size of the problem. Until then, this mass of debris will not shrink. But we can each help to stop it from growing. It truly is simple. Next time you are at the beach, instead of leaving your trash or throwing it in the water, put it in a recycle bin so it doesn’t end up in a trash island or an animal’s stomach.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Politics Articles
Recent News Articles
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
- How To Build, Develop, And Maintain Relationships With College...
- Challenges You May Face When Renting To College Students
- How to Make Netflix Binge-Watching More Fun
- Set Boundaries With Your Housemates
- Suggestions for Summer Lovin'
- Events Student Housing Landlords Can Use to Find Tenants
- College Tips from UCSC's Class of 2015
MOST POPULAR NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeUC Santa BarbaraCal PolyUC DavisUC IrvineUC San DiegoUC Santa CruzStanford UniversityUCLACal Poly PomonaCSU ChicoCSU FullertonCSU Long BeachCSU NorthridgeCSU SacramentoUC BerkeleyPepperdine UniversitySan Diego StateSan Francisco State UniversitySan Jose State UniversityUSCCalifornia State University-San BernardinoCalifornia State University-FresnoCalifornia State University-Los AngelesUC RiversideCalifornia Institute of TechnologyCalifornia State University-Dominguez HillsCalifornia State University-East BayOccidental CollegeLoyola Marymount UniversityCabrillo CollegeAlliant International UniversityAzusa Pacific UniversityAntelope Valley CollegeBakersfield CollegeBiola UniversityBrooks Institute of PhotographyCalifornia Baptist UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeCalifornia Pacific UniversityCalifornia State University Monterey BayCuesta CollegeConcordia University IrvineCalifornia State University Channel IslandsDiablo Valley CollegeBethany UniversitySanta Barbara City CollegeFive Branches UniversityWest Valley CollegeWestmont CollegeUC MercedUC Hastings College of the LawPalomar CollegeSaint Mary's CollegeSonoma State UniversitySierra CollegeChapman UniversitySaddleback CollegePacific Union CollegePierce CollegePasadena City CollegeFeather River CollegeCalifornia Culinary AcademyMira Costa CollegeLos Rios Community College DistrictLas Positas CollegeGrossmont CollegeIrvine Valley CollegeMenlo CollegeAllan Hancock CollegeHumboldt State UniversityUniversity of San DiegoUniversity of San FranciscoLoma Linda UniversityFullerton CollegeSanta Clara UniversityChabot CollegeFoothill CollegeNational UniversityButte CollegeAcademy of Art UniversityWhittier CollegeLincoln UniversityMerced CollegeCalifornia State University-BakersfieldSanta Monica CollegeMt. San Jacinto CollegeCoast Community College DistrictRiverside Community CollegeUniversity of the PacificPomona CollegeLa Sierra UniversityScripps Research InstituteDe Anza CollegeGrossmount-Cuyamaca Community CollegeAmerican Intercontinental UniversityArt Center College of DesignCalifornia College of the ArtsCalifornia Institute of Integral StudiesCalifornia Institute of the ArtsCalifornia Lutheran UniversityCSU San MarcosCalifornia State University-StanislausClaremont Graduate UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeDominican University of CaliforniaEx-Pression College for Digital ArtsFielding Graduate UniversityFresno Pacific UniversityFuller Theological SeminaryGolden Gate UniversityHoly Names UniversityJohn F Kennedy UniversityMills CollegeMount St Mary's CollegeMusicians InstituteNaval Postgraduate SchoolNotre Dame de Namur UniversityOtis College of Art and DesignPacific Oaks CollegePoint Loma Nazarene UniversitySamuel Merritt CollegeSimpson UniversityThe Art Institute of California-Los AngelesThe Art Institute of California-Orange CountyThe Art Institute of California-San DiegoThe Art Institute of California-San FranciscoThe Fashion Institute of Design & MerchandisingThe Master's College and SeminaryUC San FranciscoUniversity of La VerneUniversity of RedlandsVanguard University of Southern CaliforniaPeralta CollegeWestern University of Health SciencesWoodbury UniversityCity College of San FranciscoCalifornia Institute of the Healing Arts and SciencesCypress CollegeEast Los Angeles CollegeLos Angeles City CollegeCollege of MarinOhlone CollegePitzer CollegeSouthern California Institute of ArchitectureScripps CollegeSan Diego Christian CollegeWorld Mission UniversityThe Wright InstituteCerro Coso Community CollegeCollege of the DesertSan Diego City CollegeArgosy UniversityImperial Valley CollegeModesto Junior CollegeShasta CollegeCollege of San MateoCollege of SiskiyousLassen Community CollegeVentura CollegeNewSchool of Architecture + Design
- By State
- By City