Introduction to the Cosmos at UCSC
Once on the path to your major, it is rare that there is a chance to take a course outside of your discipline. However, Astronomy 1 – “Introduction to the Cosmos” allows for non-science majors to be educated on the wonders of the night sky, without having to be subjected to the more technical side of a college level astronomy course. The course does focus on the scientific method, and according to the syllabus, the course “[emphasizes] reasoning and understanding over memorization”.
One of the greatest aspects of this course is that it is taught by professors working in one of the most competitive astronomy departments in the country. UCSC was ranked first in the nation by NASA for the contributions in research in space science in 2008. In 2010, UCSC planet hunters discovered a potentially inhabitable planet in a neighboring solar system. The staff and researchers of the astronomy and astrophysics department at UCSC are dedicated to discovery and exploration. Instructors are not working at UCSC for a job; they educate and research because this is exactly what they want to be doing with their lives. Passing their fervor onto young minds is a plus. It is educators with passion that make courses like Astronomy 1 possible.
In the recent annual budget, NASA took a brutal 40% cut in funding for Mars exploration. And yet, a month ago the Curiosity rover landed on Mars to start its two year survey of the red planet. The appropriate name, “curiosity”, symbolizes that the curiosity of humans will extend beyond our planet and into the cosmos. Astronomy 1 gives students more insight into the heartbeat of our universe, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who has looked at a starry night sky and wondered what lies beyond the shy twinkling giants.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
Recent News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
- "Almost Juno" The Fault In Our Stars (Movie) Review
- "The Actual Change": Legend of Korra Season 3 Premiere Review Part 2
- To Move Back In With Your Parents After You Graduate Or Not: That...
- Gimmicky First Episodes: The Legend of Korra Season 3 Premiere...
- So Bad It May be Good: The Wicker Man (2006) Review
- The Lost Plot: 'Godzilla' Movie Review
- Nico Rosberg Dominates in German Grand Prix
MOST POPULAR NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeUC Santa BarbaraCal PolyUC DavisUC IrvineUC San DiegoUC Santa CruzStanford UniversityUCLACal Poly PomonaCSU ChicoCSU FullertonCSU Long BeachCSU NorthridgeCSU SacramentoUC BerkeleyPepperdine UniversitySan Diego StateSan Francisco State UniversitySan Jose State UniversityUSCCalifornia State University-San BernardinoCalifornia State University-FresnoCalifornia State University-Los AngelesUC RiversideCalifornia Institute of TechnologyCalifornia State University-Dominguez HillsCalifornia State University-East BayOccidental CollegeLoyola Marymount UniversityCabrillo CollegeAlliant International UniversityAzusa Pacific UniversityAntelope Valley CollegeBakersfield CollegeBiola UniversityBrooks Institute of PhotographyCalifornia Baptist UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeCalifornia Pacific UniversityCalifornia State University Monterey BayCuesta CollegeConcordia University IrvineCalifornia State University Channel IslandsDiablo Valley CollegeBethany UniversitySanta Barbara City CollegeFive Branches UniversityWest Valley CollegeWestmont CollegeUC MercedUC Hastings College of the LawPalomar CollegeSaint Mary's CollegeSonoma State UniversitySierra CollegeChapman UniversitySaddleback CollegePacific Union CollegePierce CollegePasadena City CollegeFeather River CollegeCalifornia Culinary AcademyMira Costa CollegeLos Rios Community College DistrictLas Positas CollegeGrossmont CollegeIrvine Valley CollegeMenlo CollegeAllan Hancock CollegeHumboldt State UniversityUniversity of San DiegoUniversity of San FranciscoLoma Linda UniversityFullerton CollegeSanta Clara UniversityChabot CollegeFoothill CollegeNational UniversityButte CollegeAcademy of Art UniversityWhittier CollegeLincoln UniversityMerced CollegeCalifornia State University-BakersfieldSanta Monica CollegeMt. San Jacinto CollegeCoast Community College DistrictRiverside Community CollegeUniversity of the PacificPomona CollegeLa Sierra UniversityScripps Research InstituteDe Anza CollegeGrossmount-Cuyamaca Community CollegeAmerican Intercontinental UniversityArt Center College of DesignCalifornia College of the ArtsCalifornia Institute of Integral StudiesCalifornia Institute of the ArtsCalifornia Lutheran UniversityCSU San MarcosCalifornia State University-StanislausClaremont Graduate UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeDominican University of CaliforniaEx-Pression College for Digital ArtsFielding Graduate UniversityFresno Pacific UniversityFuller Theological SeminaryGolden Gate UniversityHoly Names UniversityJohn F Kennedy UniversityMills CollegeMount St Mary's CollegeMusicians InstituteNaval Postgraduate SchoolNotre Dame de Namur UniversityOtis College of Art and DesignPacific Oaks CollegePoint Loma Nazarene UniversitySamuel Merritt CollegeSimpson UniversityThe Art Institute of California-Los AngelesThe Art Institute of California-Orange CountyThe Art Institute of California-San DiegoThe Art Institute of California-San FranciscoThe Fashion Institute of Design & MerchandisingThe Master's College and SeminaryUC San FranciscoUniversity of La VerneUniversity of RedlandsVanguard University of Southern CaliforniaPeralta CollegeWestern University of Health SciencesWoodbury UniversityCity College of San FranciscoCalifornia Institute of the Healing Arts and SciencesCypress CollegeEast Los Angeles CollegeLos Angeles City CollegeCollege of MarinOhlone CollegePitzer CollegeSouthern California Institute of ArchitectureScripps CollegeSan Diego Christian CollegeWorld Mission UniversityThe Wright InstituteCerro Coso Community CollegeCollege of the DesertSan Diego City CollegeArgosy UniversityImperial Valley CollegeModesto Junior CollegeShasta CollegeCollege of San MateoCollege of SiskiyousLassen Community CollegeVentura CollegeNewSchool of Architecture + Design
- By State
- By City