Behind Hollywood: Mitchell Gossett
Mitchell Gossett works as agent specializing in youth actors and actresses. His previous clients include names such as Miley Cyrus (‘Hannah Montana’), Taylor Lautner (‘Twilight’), and Victoria Justice (‘Victorious’). Here he shares his story working as an agent for some of the most prominent stars of young Hollywood.
What are some of the pros and cons of working with young stars?
Some of the pros are that it’s really exciting. You get to discover somebody and break them in and start a career. And you know, to teach them about it as well. I have a Master’s degree in acting myself, so I enjoy teaching about acting. Some of the cons are that sometimes young actors get taken advantage of… you really have to protect them. A studio or producer would oftentimes think that a young actor really wants the job so much that they just won’t walk away from it. While if a deal is for an adult, if a deal isn’t good, oftentimes they’ll say, ‘Forget it, we’ll pass.’ Usually with young people they just want the job.
Some people say that being in Hollywood so young negatively alters a child. Any thoughts on that?
Well it depends on the child of course. I think that that’s a generalization. I think it can also enhance and really provide amazing lifetime experiences for a child that nothing else can.
What’s a typical day at work for you?
First you come in and you have meetings with the various departments around the agency. Whether it be a motion picture department, whether it be a television department, there are various departments and meetings where a huge amount of information is shared. Information is key. We have to be conscious of every movie and TV project in town, for actors of all ages. [Later] I get to my desk and I probably get around 350 to 400 emails a day that require me to act upon projects to help get actors work.
What’s your favorite thing about your job?
My favorite thing about my job is working with the level of professionalism of my colleagues. At an agency like this, if you’re talking about this job, you know it’s like going to Harvard. You wanna be an agent, you wanna work at an agency like this. I feel like I’m at the height, and I’m so very proud of that. And all of the other colleagues that work here are in the same position. They’ve all worked very hard [to be at this agency]. So I think the thing I love most about my job is being with the other professionals around me. We all support each other very much.
Mitchell Gossett currently works as the Senior Vice President of Cunningham Escott Slevin & Doherty (CESD). His current clients include Danielle Campbell (‘Prom’) and Darren Criss (‘Glee’).
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Entertainment Articles
Recent News Articles
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
- "A Really Sluggish Journey" Treasure Hunter Kumiko (2015) Review
- The Return of Game of Thrones Season
- HOPEchella raises over five hundred dollars for Semillas
- Cracking the Code of College: 9 Tips for Academic Success at a...
- Spotlight on Laci Green: Breaking Silence Around Sexuality
- Keeping Your Tenants Safe:The Student Perspective
- Why You Need to Watch “The Voice” 2015
MOST POPULAR NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeUC Santa BarbaraCal PolyUC DavisUC IrvineUC San DiegoUC Santa CruzStanford UniversityUCLACal Poly PomonaCSU ChicoCSU FullertonCSU Long BeachCSU NorthridgeCSU SacramentoUC BerkeleyPepperdine UniversitySan Diego StateSan Francisco State UniversitySan Jose State UniversityUSCCalifornia State University-San BernardinoCalifornia State University-FresnoCalifornia State University-Los AngelesUC RiversideCalifornia Institute of TechnologyCalifornia State University-Dominguez HillsCalifornia State University-East BayOccidental CollegeLoyola Marymount UniversityCabrillo CollegeAlliant International UniversityAzusa Pacific UniversityAntelope Valley CollegeBakersfield CollegeBiola UniversityBrooks Institute of PhotographyCalifornia Baptist UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeCalifornia Pacific UniversityCalifornia State University Monterey BayCuesta CollegeConcordia University IrvineCalifornia State University Channel IslandsDiablo Valley CollegeBethany UniversitySanta Barbara City CollegeFive Branches UniversityWest Valley CollegeWestmont CollegeUC MercedUC Hastings College of the LawPalomar CollegeSaint Mary's CollegeSonoma State UniversitySierra CollegeChapman UniversitySaddleback CollegePacific Union CollegePierce CollegePasadena City CollegeFeather River CollegeCalifornia Culinary AcademyMira Costa CollegeLos Rios Community College DistrictLas Positas CollegeGrossmont CollegeIrvine Valley CollegeMenlo CollegeAllan Hancock CollegeHumboldt State UniversityUniversity of San DiegoUniversity of San FranciscoLoma Linda UniversityFullerton CollegeSanta Clara UniversityChabot CollegeFoothill CollegeNational UniversityButte CollegeAcademy of Art UniversityWhittier CollegeLincoln UniversityMerced CollegeCalifornia State University-BakersfieldSanta Monica CollegeMt. San Jacinto CollegeCoast Community College DistrictRiverside Community CollegeUniversity of the PacificPomona CollegeLa Sierra UniversityScripps Research InstituteDe Anza CollegeGrossmount-Cuyamaca Community CollegeAmerican Intercontinental UniversityArt Center College of DesignCalifornia College of the ArtsCalifornia Institute of Integral StudiesCalifornia Institute of the ArtsCalifornia Lutheran UniversityCSU San MarcosCalifornia State University-StanislausClaremont Graduate UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeDominican University of CaliforniaEx-Pression College for Digital ArtsFielding Graduate UniversityFresno Pacific UniversityFuller Theological SeminaryGolden Gate UniversityHoly Names UniversityJohn F Kennedy UniversityMills CollegeMount St Mary's CollegeMusicians InstituteNaval Postgraduate SchoolNotre Dame de Namur UniversityOtis College of Art and DesignPacific Oaks CollegePoint Loma Nazarene UniversitySamuel Merritt CollegeSimpson UniversityThe Art Institute of California-Los AngelesThe Art Institute of California-Orange CountyThe Art Institute of California-San DiegoThe Art Institute of California-San FranciscoThe Fashion Institute of Design & MerchandisingThe Master's College and SeminaryUC San FranciscoUniversity of La VerneUniversity of RedlandsVanguard University of Southern CaliforniaPeralta CollegeWestern University of Health SciencesWoodbury UniversityCity College of San FranciscoCalifornia Institute of the Healing Arts and SciencesCypress CollegeEast Los Angeles CollegeLos Angeles City CollegeCollege of MarinOhlone CollegePitzer CollegeSouthern California Institute of ArchitectureScripps CollegeSan Diego Christian CollegeWorld Mission UniversityThe Wright InstituteCerro Coso Community CollegeCollege of the DesertSan Diego City CollegeArgosy UniversityImperial Valley CollegeModesto Junior CollegeShasta CollegeCollege of San MateoCollege of SiskiyousLassen Community CollegeVentura CollegeNewSchool of Architecture + Design
- By State
- By City