Rise and Shine: Why 8 a.m. Classes Might Not Be As Bad As You Think
College students usually aren’t morning people, so when we hear the words “8 a.m. classes,” we automatically groan in protest. Who wants to get up that early and function? I’ve had an 8 a.m. class pretty much every quarter at UC Santa Cruz, and have come to realize that there are actually some benefits to having those awfully early classes.
I know you’re probably rolling your eyes right now, but I promise you I’m not the only person who sees the good side of 8 a.m.’s. Here are some positive outlooks to make yourself feel better if you get stuck with a morning class, and some tips and tricks on how to get up and stay awake.
Why 8 a.m.’s don’t totally suck:
If I could sleep in naturally, I wouldn’t get out of bed until about noon. The thing about sleeping in is yes, in the moment it feels good, but you usually end up feeling tired during the day regardless of when you had to get up.
According to Health Ambition, waking up early directly correlates to better grades, and who doesn’t want that? The article also highlights that waking up early helps you maintain a healthier diet, enhances your productivity, gives you better mental health, gives you more time to exercise (haha), improves your quality of sleep, and helps you enjoy quiet time. I bet you are switching your schedule around right now so you can get that 8 a.m. and bask in the benefits.
Calvin Sainz, a third year neuroscience major at UC Santa Cruz, gave me his opinion on what he likes about 8 a.m.’s.
“A good thing I see about 8 a.m.’s,” Sainz said, “is that, well, you get a nice early start to the day, [enabling you] to make more out of your day instead of waking up at noon and realizing a nice chunk of it is gone.”
I definitely feel this way too. Sure sleeping in is awesome, but getting a nice early start allows you to use your day to its full potential. Sainz went on to say that “another great thing is that you get the class over with sooner.”
I’ve had both morning classes and really late classes, and would definitely rather have the morning classes. You just feel like you have more free time, since you can get the class over and done with. Also, walking around campus at night can be really creepy …
Holli Tomlinson, a second year merchandise marketing student at the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising, says the benefit she sees in 8 a.m.’s is that “you feel more motivated to go home and start your homework, rather than having a late class and just wanting to go home and sleep.”
I’ve noticed that as the day progresses, my ability to focus on school slowly deteriorates, until I get to the point where I am staring aimlessly at the reading that’s due the next day. Getting out of class early gives you enough time to get your work done, and have some extra time to relax (hello Netflix).
Razma Mogharrab, a second year electrical engineering student at De Anza Community College, shows another upside to having 8 a.m.’s.
“8 a.m. classes are a good thing because they prepare you for an average work day in the real world (which generally begins at 8 a.m. or earlier),” Mogharrab said. “They are also not that bad because the earlier you finish your classes, the earlier you can hang out with your friends or go back to sleep!”
See, I told you looking for positive things wouldn’t be so hard! I always take a nap after an early class, and sometimes get a better sleep than I do at night.
Luke Siller, a second year biotechnology student at Palomar College, highlights the fact that when you have an 8 a.m. class you can basically choose your professor.
“When signing up for classes, things can get as hectic as Black Friday,” Siller said. “You may not get all your teachers during the day, but in my experience there has always been room in morning classes.”
8 a.m. classes are definitely the last to go, so you know you will pretty much be guaranteed a spot.
How to wake up and stay awake for an 8 a.m.:
When you hear that dreaded alarm go off at 6:30 a.m., you’re going to want to hit snooze. Sainz recommends to try not to snooze your alarm.
“Once it goes off, stretch and try to get on your feet. The reason is because if you keep snoozing you’re just making yourself more and more drowsy, as you’re telling your body to sleep more only to have it disturbed in what may be a bad part of an early sleep cycle, which is turn will make you feel worse than you originally did.”
I know it’s hard. I’m always tempted, and usually give in to hitting the button once, but I definitely end up feeling more tired the longer I “half sleep,” waiting for the alarm to make its second appearance.
You also want to make sure that you get a good night’s sleep the night before. I know you want to stay up late watching Netflix, but “future you” will hate you in the morning for it. If you get in a constant routine of going to bed early, it will slowly start to get easier to wake up. As young adults, it is really important that we get enough sleep, which I know is tough in a college setting, but try your best to get a good amount of shuteye.
Loren Colcol, a second year computer science and game design student at UC Santa Cruz, gave some tips of how he stays awake and alert when he has to be up early.
“To stay awake early in the morning, I listen to some upbeat rap and hip-hop,” Colcol said. “Eating fruits early in the morning helps me a lot.”
So get that beat pumping while taking a bite out of an apple, and get ready to stay awake! Speaking of foods that can help you get up, here is a list from Huffpost Living that will give you that extra energy you need in the morning.
Tomlinson takes the coffee approach to staying awake.
“My Keurig is my life; I just brew some coffee on that baby and I’m good to go,” Tomlinson said.
Sainz is on the coffee train too, and said “coffee is always a basic and common way to wake one up.”
I do a mixture of the fruit and coffee approach, dropping blueberries in my cereal as I take constant swigs off warm, delicious coffee. Now you may be thinking, “well, isn’t coffee bad for you?” According to U.S. News, drinking coffee has heath benefits, and may even make you live longer. So if you drink it in moderation for your class, you’re golden.
Yes, 8 a.m.’s still aren’t going to be the most fun things in the world, but you’ll be improving your health, using more of your day in a productive manner, and have a legit excuse for taking naps in the middle of the day. So get out there, and start your day early!
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
Recent News Articles
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
- Get Students To Stop By Your Booth
- Best Ways To Pack Up Your Kitchen For Moving
- Get The Most Out Of Your Next Study Session: 5 Study Tips
- Cheetos Chicken Fries: An Extra Crunchy Surprise
- On Identity Spectrums
- The National Museum of African American History: A People's Journey
- Is a Pixie Cut Right for You?
MOST POPULAR NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeAcademy for Jewish Religion-CaliforniaAcademy for Salon ProfessionalsAcademy of Art UniversityAcademy of Esthetics and CosmetologyAdvance Beauty CollegeAdvance Beauty Techs AcademyAdvanced Career InstituteAdvanced CollegeAdvanced Computing InstituteAlhambra Beauty CollegeAllan Hancock CollegeAlliant International UniversityAlliant International University-FresnoAlliant International University-IrvineAlliant International University-Los AngelesAlliant International University-SacramentoAlliant International University-San DiegoAlliant International University-San FranciscoAllied American UniversityAmerican Baptist Seminary of the WestAmerican Beauty CollegeAmerican Career College at St FrancisAmerican Career College-AnaheimAmerican Career College-Long BeachAmerican Career College-Los AngelesAmerican Career College-OntarioAmerican College of HealthcareAmerican College of Traditional Chinese MedicineAmerican Conservatory TheaterAmerican Institute of Massage TherapyAmerican Intercontinental UniversityAmerican Jewish UniversityAmerican Medical Sciences CenterAmerican River College Angeles InstituteAnnenberg School of NursingAntelope Valley CollegeAntioch University-Los AngelesArgosy UniversityArgosy University-San DiegoArt Center College of DesignAshdown College of Health SciencesAsher CollegeAsian American International Beauty CollegeAssociated Technical College-Los AngelesATEP at IVCATI College-NorwalkAvance Beauty CollegeAveda Institute-Los AngelesAzusa Pacific UniversityBakersfield CollegeBaldwin Park Adult & Community EducationBarstow Community College DistrictBay Area Medical AcademyBay Area Medical Academy - San Jose Satellite LocationBeaumont Adult SchoolBellus Academy-El CajonBellus Academy-National CityBellus Academy-PowayBerkeley City College Bethany UniversityBethel Seminary-San DiegoBethesda UniversityBeyond 21st Century Beauty AcademyBiola UniversityBlake Austin CollegeBlake Austin College Beauty AcademyBrand CollegeBrooks Institute of PhotographyButte CollegeCabrillo CollegeCal PolyCal Poly PomonaCalifornia Baptist UniversityCalifornia Beauty SchoolCalifornia Career CollegeCalifornia Career InstituteCalifornia Christian CollegeCalifornia College of the ArtsCalifornia College San DiegoCalifornia Culinary AcademyCalifornia Hair Design AcademyCalifornia Healing Arts CollegeCalifornia Institute of Integral StudiesCalifornia Institute of TechnologyCalifornia Institute of the ArtsCalifornia Institute of the Healing Arts and SciencesCalifornia Lutheran UniversityCalifornia Miramar UniversityCalifornia Nurses Educational InstituteCalifornia Pacific UniversityCalifornia State University Channel IslandsCalifornia State University Monterey BayCalifornia State University-BakersfieldCalifornia State University-Dominguez HillsCalifornia State University-East BayCalifornia State University-FresnoCalifornia State University-Los AngelesCalifornia State University-San BernardinoCalifornia State University-StanislausCalifornia Western School of LawCambridge Junior College-WoodlandCambridge Junior College-Yuba CityCanada CollegeCareer Academy of BeautyCareer Care InstituteCareer College of CaliforniaCareer Development Institute IncCareer Networks InstituteCarrington College-Citrus HeightsCarrington College-PomonaCarrington College-SacramentoCarrington College-San JoseCarrington College-San LeandroCasa Loma College-Anaheim CampusCasa Loma College-Van NuysCentral California SchoolCentral Coast CollegeCerritos CollegeCerro Coso Community CollegeCES CollegeCET-CoachellaCET-El CentroCET-OxnardCET-SacramentoCET-San BernardinoCET-San DiegoCET-Santa MariaCET-SobratoCET-SoledadCET-WatsonvilleChabot CollegeChapman UniversityCharles A Jones Career and Education CenterCharles R Drew University of Medicine and ScienceCharter College-Canyon CountryChurch Divinity School of the PacificCinta Aveda InstituteCitrus CollegeCity College of San FranciscoClaremont Graduate UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeClaremont McKenna CollegeClaremont School of TheologyClovis Adult EducationCoachella Valley Beauty CollegeCoachella Valley Beauty College-BeaumontCoast Career InstituteCoast Community College DistrictCoastline Beauty CollegeCoastline Community College Cogswell CollegeColeman UniversityCollege of Alameda College of MarinCollege of San MateoCollege of SiskiyousCollege of the CanyonsCollege of the DesertCollege of the RedwoodsCollege of the SequoiasCollege of the Siskiyous Colton-Redlands-Yucaipa Regional Occupational ProgramColumbia College-HollywoodComputer Training AcademyComputer Tutor Business and Technical InstituteConcorde Career College-Garden GroveConcorde Career College-North HollywoodConcorde Career College-San BernardinoConcorde Career College-San DiegoConcordia University IrvineContra Costa College Contra Costa Community College DistrictCopper Mountain Community CollegeCosmo Beauty AcademyCosmo Factory Cosmetology AcademyCosumnes River College Crafton Hills CollegeCRU InstituteCSU ChicoCSU FullertonCSU Long BeachCSU NorthridgeCSU SacramentoCSU San MarcosCuesta CollegeCuyamaca College Cypress CollegeDe Anza CollegeDesign Institute of San DiegoDiablo Valley CollegeDiamond Beauty CollegeDominican School of Philosophy & TheologyDominican University of CaliforniaDongguk University-Los AngelesDowney Adult SchoolEast Los Angeles CollegeEl Camino College-Compton Community Ed CenterElite Cosmetology SchoolEverest College-AlhambraEverest College-AnaheimEverest College-City of IndustryEverest College-GardenaEverest College-ResedaEverest College-West Los AngelesEvergreen Valley College Ex-Pression College for Digital ArtsFashion Institute of Design & Merchandising-Orange CountyFashion Institute of Design & Merchandising-San DiegoFashion Institute of Design & Merchandising-San FranciscoFeather River CollegeFederico Beauty InstituteFielding Graduate UniversityFive Branches UniversityFlair Beauty CollegeFolsom Lake CollegeFoothill CollegeFour-D CollegeFranciscan School of TheologyFredrick and Charles Beauty CollegeFremont CollegeFresno City College Fresno Pacific UniversityFuller Theological SeminaryFullerton CollegeGalaxy Medical CollegeGavilan CollegeGemological Institute of America-CarlsbadGlendale Community College (CA)Golden Gate UniversityGolden Gate University-Los AngelesGolden Gate University-Silicon ValleyGolden State College of Court ReportingGrace Mission UniversityGraduate Theological UnionGrossmont CollegeGrossmount-Cuyamaca Community CollegeGurnick Academy of Medical ArtsHacienda La Puente Adult EducationHair California Beauty AcademyHeald College-ConcordHeald College-ModestoHeald College-RosevilleHeald College-SalinasHeald College-San JoseHeald College-StocktonHigh Desert Medical CollegeHilltop Beauty SchoolHinton Barber CollegeHoly Names UniversityHomestead SchoolsHorizon UniversityHumboldt State UniversityHumphreys College-ModestoHumphreys College-Stockton and Modesto CampusesHypnosis Motivation InstituteImperial Valley CollegeInfoTech Career CollegeInstitute for Business and TechnologyInstitute of Technology IncIntegrity College of HealthInterCoast Colleges-BurbankInterCoast Colleges-CarsonInterCoast Colleges-Elk GroveInterCoast Colleges-FairfieldInterCoast Colleges-OrangeInterCoast Colleges-RosevilleInterior Designers InstituteInternational College of CosmetologyInternational Culinary Center-CaliforniaInternational Polytechnic InstituteInternational School of Beauty IncInternational Technological UniversityIrvine Valley CollegeITT Technical Institute-ConcordITT Technical Institute-CoronaITT Technical Institute-Culver CityITT Technical Institute-LathropITT Technical Institute-OaklandITT Technical Institute-OxnardITT Technical Institute-Rancho CordovaITT Technical Institute-San DimasITT Technical Institute-SylmarITT Technical Institute-TorranceJohn F Kennedy UniversityJohn Wesley International Barber and Beauty CollegeKaplan College-BakersfieldKaplan College-ModestoKaplan College-North HollywoodKaplan College-Palm SpringsKaplan College-RiversideKaplan College-SacramentoKaplan College-VistaLa Sierra UniversityLaguna College of Art and DesignLaney College Las Positas CollegeLassen Community CollegeLawrence & Company College of CosmetologyLe Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts-PasadenaLeMelange Academy of HairLife Chiropractic College WestLife Pacific CollegeLincoln UniversityLoma Linda UniversityLong Beach City College Los Angeles CenterLos Angeles City CollegeLos Angeles College of MusicLos Angeles County College of Nursing and Allied HealthLos Angeles Harbor College Los Angeles Mission College Los Angeles ORT College-Los Angeles CampusLos Angeles ORT College-Van Nuys CampusLos Angeles Southwest College Los Angeles Trade-Technical CollegeLos Rios Community College DistrictLoyola Marymount UniversityLu Ross AcademyLyles Bakersfield College of BeautyLyles Fresno College of BeautyMadera Beauty CollegeMake-up DesignoryManchester Beauty CollegeMarinello School of Beauty-BakersfieldMarinello School of Beauty-Castro ValleyMarinello School of Beauty-ChicoMarinello School of Beauty-FresnoMarinello School of Beauty-HaywardMarinello School of Beauty-MurrietaMarinello School of Beauty-NapaMarinello School of Beauty-PalmdaleMarinello School of Beauty-ReddingMarinello School of Beauty-ResedaMarinello School of Beauty-San BernardinoMarinello School of Beauty-San MateoMarinello School of Beauty-San RafaelMarinello School of Beauty-StocktonMarinello School of Beauty-WhittierMarinello Schools of Beauty-BellMarinello Schools of Beauty-City of IndustryMarinello Schools of Beauty-HemetMarinello Schools of Beauty-Huntington BeachMarinello Schools of Beauty-Lake ForestMarinello Schools of Beauty-LomitaMarinello Schools of Beauty-Los AngelesMarinello Schools of Beauty-Moreno ValleyMarinello Schools of Beauty-ParamountMarinello Schools of Beauty-Santa ClaraMarinello Schools of Beauty-Simi ValleyMarinello Schools of Beauty-VictorvilleMarinello Schools of Beauty-VisaliaMarshall B Ketchum UniversityMarymount California UniversityMarymount University - Waterfront CampusMayfield CollegeMediaTech Institute-OceansideMedical Allied Career CenterMendocino CollegeMenlo CollegeMerced CollegeMerritt CollegeMiami Ad School-San FranciscoMilan Institute of Cosmetology-FairfieldMilan Institute of Cosmetology-VisaliaMilan Institute-MercedMilan Institute-Palm DesertMills CollegeMira Costa CollegeMission CollegeModern Technology SchoolModesto Junior CollegeMoler Barber CollegeMonterey Institute of International StudiesMonterey Peninsula CollegeMoorpark College Mount St Mary's CollegeMt San Antonio College Mt. San Jacinto CollegeMusicians InstituteNational UniversityNaval Postgraduate SchoolNewSchool of Architecture + DesignNorth Orange County Community College DistrictNotre Dame de Namur UniversityOccidental CollegeOhlone CollegeOrange Coast College Otis College of Art and DesignPacific Oaks CollegePacific Union CollegePalo Verde College Palomar CollegePasadena City CollegePepperdine UniversityPeralta CollegePierce CollegePitzer CollegePoint Loma Nazarene UniversityPomona CollegePorterville College Reedley College Rio Hondo College Riverside Community CollegeSacramento City College Saddleback CollegeSaint Mary's CollegeSamuel Merritt CollegeSan Diego City CollegeSan Diego Community College DistrictSan Diego Mesa College San Diego Miramar College San Diego StateSan Francisco State UniversitySan Joaquin Delta College San Jose City College San Jose State UniversitySan Jose-Evergreen Community College DistrictSanta Barbara City CollegeSanta Clara UniversitySanta Monica CollegeScripps CollegeScripps Research InstituteShasta CollegeSierra CollegeSimpson UniversitySkyline College Solano Community College Sonoma State UniversitySouth Orange County Community College DistrictSouthern California Institute of ArchitectureStanford UniversityState Center Community College DistrictTaft College The Art Institute of California-Los AngelesThe Art Institute of California-Orange CountyThe Art Institute of California-San DiegoThe Art Institute of California-San FranciscoThe Fashion Institute of Design & MerchandisingThe Master's College and SeminaryThe Wright InstituteUC BerkeleyUC DavisUC Hastings College of the LawUC IrvineUC MercedUC RiversideUC San DiegoUC San FranciscoUC Santa BarbaraUC Santa CruzUCLAUniversity of La VerneUniversity of RedlandsUniversity of San DiegoUniversity of San FranciscoUniversity of the PacificUSCVanguard University of Southern CaliforniaVentura CollegeVentura County Community College DistrictVictor Valley CollegeWest Hills Community College DistrictWest Hills Community College- CoalingaWest Hills Community College-LemooreWest Los Angeles College West Valley CollegeWestern University of Health SciencesWestmont CollegeWhittier CollegeWoodbury UniversityWoodland Community College World Mission UniversityYosemite Community College DistrictYuba College
- By State
- By City