Struggling To Stay Motivated
This summer I came home unmotivated, unhappy and 20 pounds overweight due to it. I gave up trying to study as hard as I had been for my classes. I knew that no matter what I would pass the class with the grade I was working for during the quarter. This caused me to lose motivation in everything I had started. I spent my days in bed eating and sleeping my life away instead of studying, going to class or even seeing my friends. I was on a downward spiral to failure due to my lack of motivation.
I sat on my couch upset and disappointed after my doctor’s appointment. He told me I was 20 pounds overweight and should try to lose weight. I knew that if I didn’t focus on losing weight I would only hurt myself more as time went by. I was facing a huge obstacle though: myself. I was still unmotivated and as lazy as I had ever been.
The first step I took in order to stay determined was finding something that would keep me working hard everyday. I found a 60-day workout program that only lasted 40 minutes to an hour everyday, good enough for a person as lazy as me. I wanted to keep myself up and moving aside from working out. I applied to volunteer at a care center for sick elders every week instead of in bed sleeping. This schedule worked for the first month. I was waking up early, volunteering almost every afternoon and working out every single night.
You would think I’d be more motivated after realizing that I had done more in that month than the previous three months but I wasn’t. My hours at the center were cut because I had received the job I applied for a few weeks prior but my boss also cut my hours because he didn’t have enough money to pay full-time employees. Despite the extra time, I was skipping out on workouts. I had another doctor’s appointment where I found out I lost 10 pounds. It took a doctor’s appointment for me to realize that I was making these life changes for me. Sitting around and doing nothing would lead me to the same path I was trying to stray away from.
Thinking about my goal was the second step to keeping myself motivated. I worked out harder and requested to work on-call at work in order to gain more hours. After the end of the second month, I was working 30 hours a week at work and lost 12 more pounds. My motivation increased more when I realized I’d be in Santa Cruz two weeks later. Of course once I got to Santa Cruz I lost all motivation to do anything. My first two days were spent moving in and trying to figure out house problems. After that, my days were spent sleeping and tanning. It wasn’t until I started school that I realized how challenging my quarter would be. This motivated me to work hard and get ahead in my classes.
Anything can be used as motivation. You are your own worst enemy. If you convince yourself that you can’t do it then guess what? You won’t. I had low expectations at the beginning of this summer. I didn’t know I’d walk away 23 pounds lighter, a couple large paychecks and a wonderful experience at a care center. You will accomplish your goal once you focus and set your mind to it.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More Uloop Health Articles
Recent News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
- "Almost Juno" The Fault In Our Stars (Movie) Review
- "The Actual Change": Legend of Korra Season 3 Premiere Review Part 2
- To Move Back In With Your Parents After You Graduate Or Not: That...
- Gimmicky First Episodes: The Legend of Korra Season 3 Premiere...
- So Bad It May be Good: The Wicker Man (2006) Review
- Back to School: The Best Student Planners
- Deep in the Hole- Fantasy Baseball Week 16
MOST POPULAR NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeAcademy of Art UniversityAllan Hancock CollegeAlliant International UniversityAmerican Intercontinental UniversityAntelope Valley CollegeArgosy UniversityArt Center College of DesignAzusa Pacific UniversityBakersfield CollegeBethany UniversityBiola UniversityBrooks Institute of PhotographyButte CollegeCabrillo CollegeCal PolyCal Poly PomonaCalifornia Baptist UniversityCalifornia College of the ArtsCalifornia Culinary AcademyCalifornia Institute of Integral StudiesCalifornia Institute of TechnologyCalifornia Institute of the ArtsCalifornia Institute of the Healing Arts and SciencesCalifornia Lutheran UniversityCalifornia Pacific UniversityCalifornia State University Channel IslandsCalifornia State University Monterey BayCalifornia State University-BakersfieldCalifornia State University-Dominguez HillsCalifornia State University-East BayCalifornia State University-FresnoCalifornia State University-Los AngelesCalifornia State University-San BernardinoCalifornia State University-StanislausCerro Coso Community CollegeChabot CollegeChapman UniversityCity College of San FranciscoClaremont Graduate UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeClaremont McKenna CollegeCoast Community College DistrictCollege of MarinCollege of San MateoCollege of SiskiyousCollege of the DesertConcordia University IrvineCSU ChicoCSU FullertonCSU Long BeachCSU NorthridgeCSU SacramentoCSU San MarcosCuesta CollegeCypress CollegeDe Anza CollegeDiablo Valley CollegeDominican University of CaliforniaEast Los Angeles CollegeEx-Pression College for Digital ArtsFeather River CollegeFielding Graduate UniversityFive Branches UniversityFoothill CollegeFresno Pacific UniversityFuller Theological SeminaryFullerton CollegeGolden Gate UniversityGrossmont CollegeGrossmount-Cuyamaca Community CollegeHoly Names UniversityHumboldt State UniversityImperial Valley CollegeIrvine Valley CollegeJohn F Kennedy UniversityLa Sierra UniversityLas Positas CollegeLassen Community CollegeLincoln UniversityLoma Linda UniversityLos Angeles City CollegeLos Rios Community College DistrictLoyola Marymount UniversityMenlo CollegeMerced CollegeMills CollegeMira Costa CollegeModesto Junior CollegeMount St Mary's CollegeMt. San Jacinto CollegeMusicians InstituteNational UniversityNaval Postgraduate SchoolNewSchool of Architecture + DesignNotre Dame de Namur UniversityOccidental CollegeOhlone CollegeOtis College of Art and DesignPacific Oaks CollegePacific Union CollegePalomar CollegePasadena City CollegePepperdine UniversityPeralta CollegePierce CollegePitzer CollegePoint Loma Nazarene UniversityPomona CollegeRiverside Community CollegeSaddleback CollegeSaint Mary's CollegeSamuel Merritt CollegeSan Diego Christian CollegeSan Diego City CollegeSan Diego StateSan Francisco State UniversitySan Jose State UniversitySanta Barbara City CollegeSanta Clara UniversitySanta Monica CollegeScripps CollegeScripps Research InstituteShasta CollegeSierra CollegeSimpson UniversitySonoma State UniversitySouthern California Institute of ArchitectureStanford UniversityThe Art Institute of California-Los AngelesThe Art Institute of California-Orange CountyThe Art Institute of California-San DiegoThe Art Institute of California-San FranciscoThe Fashion Institute of Design & MerchandisingThe Master's College and SeminaryThe Wright InstituteUC BerkeleyUC DavisUC Hastings College of the LawUC IrvineUC MercedUC RiversideUC San DiegoUC San FranciscoUC Santa BarbaraUCLAUniversity of La VerneUniversity of RedlandsUniversity of San DiegoUniversity of San FranciscoUniversity of the PacificUSCVanguard University of Southern CaliforniaVentura CollegeWest Valley CollegeWestern University of Health SciencesWestmont CollegeWhittier CollegeWoodbury UniversityWorld Mission University
- By StateAlabamaAlaskaArizonaArkansasCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareDistrict Of ColumbiaFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaOhioOklahomaOregonPennsylvaniaRhode IslandSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWest VirginiaWisconsinWyoming