Struggling To Stay Motivated
This summer I came home unmotivated, unhappy and 20 pounds overweight due to it. I gave up trying to study as hard as I had been for my classes. I knew that no matter what I would pass the class with the grade I was working for during the quarter. This caused me to lose motivation in everything I had started. I spent my days in bed eating and sleeping my life away instead of studying, going to class or even seeing my friends. I was on a downward spiral to failure due to my lack of motivation.
I sat on my couch upset and disappointed after my doctor’s appointment. He told me I was 20 pounds overweight and should try to lose weight. I knew that if I didn’t focus on losing weight I would only hurt myself more as time went by. I was facing a huge obstacle though: myself. I was still unmotivated and as lazy as I had ever been.
The first step I took in order to stay determined was finding something that would keep me working hard everyday. I found a 60-day workout program that only lasted 40 minutes to an hour everyday, good enough for a person as lazy as me. I wanted to keep myself up and moving aside from working out. I applied to volunteer at a care center for sick elders every week instead of in bed sleeping. This schedule worked for the first month. I was waking up early, volunteering almost every afternoon and working out every single night.
You would think I’d be more motivated after realizing that I had done more in that month than the previous three months but I wasn’t. My hours at the center were cut because I had received the job I applied for a few weeks prior but my boss also cut my hours because he didn’t have enough money to pay full-time employees. Despite the extra time, I was skipping out on workouts. I had another doctor’s appointment where I found out I lost 10 pounds. It took a doctor’s appointment for me to realize that I was making these life changes for me. Sitting around and doing nothing would lead me to the same path I was trying to stray away from.
Thinking about my goal was the second step to keeping myself motivated. I worked out harder and requested to work on-call at work in order to gain more hours. After the end of the second month, I was working 30 hours a week at work and lost 12 more pounds. My motivation increased more when I realized I’d be in Santa Cruz two weeks later. Of course once I got to Santa Cruz I lost all motivation to do anything. My first two days were spent moving in and trying to figure out house problems. After that, my days were spent sleeping and tanning. It wasn’t until I started school that I realized how challenging my quarter would be. This motivated me to work hard and get ahead in my classes.
Anything can be used as motivation. You are your own worst enemy. If you convince yourself that you can’t do it then guess what? You won’t. I had low expectations at the beginning of this summer. I didn’t know I’d walk away 23 pounds lighter, a couple large paychecks and a wonderful experience at a care center. You will accomplish your goal once you focus and set your mind to it.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Health Articles
Recent News Articles
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
- The Brilliant "Over the Garden Wall"--T.V. Review
- How To Ensure You'll Get Payments On Time From Student Renters
- "An Apology" 50 Shades of Grey (2015) Review
- Why Does Society Review Media?
- Santa Cruz Is My Boyfriend
- Money Or Happiness After Graduation: That Is The Question
- "Human" The Imitation Game (2014) Review
MOST POPULAR NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeUC Santa BarbaraCal PolyUC DavisUC IrvineUC San DiegoUC Santa CruzStanford UniversityUCLACal Poly PomonaCSU ChicoCSU FullertonCSU Long BeachCSU NorthridgeCSU SacramentoUC BerkeleyPepperdine UniversitySan Diego StateSan Francisco State UniversitySan Jose State UniversityUSCCalifornia State University-San BernardinoCalifornia State University-FresnoCalifornia State University-Los AngelesUC RiversideCalifornia Institute of TechnologyCalifornia State University-Dominguez HillsCalifornia State University-East BayOccidental CollegeLoyola Marymount UniversityCabrillo CollegeAlliant International UniversityAzusa Pacific UniversityAntelope Valley CollegeBakersfield CollegeBiola UniversityBrooks Institute of PhotographyCalifornia Baptist UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeCalifornia Pacific UniversityCalifornia State University Monterey BayCuesta CollegeConcordia University IrvineCalifornia State University Channel IslandsDiablo Valley CollegeBethany UniversitySanta Barbara City CollegeFive Branches UniversityWest Valley CollegeWestmont CollegeUC MercedUC Hastings College of the LawPalomar CollegeSaint Mary's CollegeSonoma State UniversitySierra CollegeChapman UniversitySaddleback CollegePacific Union CollegePierce CollegePasadena City CollegeFeather River CollegeCalifornia Culinary AcademyMira Costa CollegeLos Rios Community College DistrictLas Positas CollegeGrossmont CollegeIrvine Valley CollegeMenlo CollegeAllan Hancock CollegeHumboldt State UniversityUniversity of San DiegoUniversity of San FranciscoLoma Linda UniversityFullerton CollegeSanta Clara UniversityChabot CollegeFoothill CollegeNational UniversityButte CollegeAcademy of Art UniversityWhittier CollegeLincoln UniversityMerced CollegeCalifornia State University-BakersfieldSanta Monica CollegeMt. San Jacinto CollegeCoast Community College DistrictRiverside Community CollegeUniversity of the PacificPomona CollegeLa Sierra UniversityScripps Research InstituteDe Anza CollegeGrossmount-Cuyamaca Community CollegeAmerican Intercontinental UniversityArt Center College of DesignCalifornia College of the ArtsCalifornia Institute of Integral StudiesCalifornia Institute of the ArtsCalifornia Lutheran UniversityCSU San MarcosCalifornia State University-StanislausClaremont Graduate UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeDominican University of CaliforniaEx-Pression College for Digital ArtsFielding Graduate UniversityFresno Pacific UniversityFuller Theological SeminaryGolden Gate UniversityHoly Names UniversityJohn F Kennedy UniversityMills CollegeMount St Mary's CollegeMusicians InstituteNaval Postgraduate SchoolNotre Dame de Namur UniversityOtis College of Art and DesignPacific Oaks CollegePoint Loma Nazarene UniversitySamuel Merritt CollegeSimpson UniversityThe Art Institute of California-Los AngelesThe Art Institute of California-Orange CountyThe Art Institute of California-San DiegoThe Art Institute of California-San FranciscoThe Fashion Institute of Design & MerchandisingThe Master's College and SeminaryUC San FranciscoUniversity of La VerneUniversity of RedlandsVanguard University of Southern CaliforniaPeralta CollegeWestern University of Health SciencesWoodbury UniversityCity College of San FranciscoCalifornia Institute of the Healing Arts and SciencesCypress CollegeEast Los Angeles CollegeLos Angeles City CollegeCollege of MarinOhlone CollegePitzer CollegeSouthern California Institute of ArchitectureScripps CollegeSan Diego Christian CollegeWorld Mission UniversityThe Wright InstituteCerro Coso Community CollegeCollege of the DesertSan Diego City CollegeArgosy UniversityImperial Valley CollegeModesto Junior CollegeShasta CollegeCollege of San MateoCollege of SiskiyousLassen Community CollegeVentura CollegeNewSchool of Architecture + Design
- By State
- By City